Outdoor Hose Bibb Installation Problem

Old 07-27-13, 10:30 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Outdoor Hose Bibb Installation Problem

Hello,

I am having an issue with the hose bibb on the front of my house. It is a 4" frostproof bibb. The one I have hooked up stopped working earlier this year when I tried to turn the water on. Something inside the bibb broke, because it doesn't open the valve when you turn the handle. The bibb is 3/4" inside thread to screw on to the pipe inside the wall. I had a heck of a time finding a bibb the correct length, with the correct internal thread size. I finally found one, but when I tried to hook it up today, I found the the threaded inside of the old bibb is a bit over 1/32" deeper than the new bibb. The result is that when I insert the bib into the wall and screw it on, it goes tight with the bibb upside down, with the spigot facing up. There is no way to get that last half turn to get the spigot facing down. I tried uses the spacer that came with the bibb, and stopping a half a turn early, but when I turn the water on it leaks because it not completely tight.

Other than looking a bit strange, does it make the slightest difference if the bibb ends upside down with the spigot facing upwards? Is there anything else I could do differently? The only other thing I could think of is to find a rubber washer that would fit inside the bottom of the threads, but I'm afraid the washer might not sit right, and it would leak.

I have a somewhat related question about thread tape for this project as well. Since the male end of the pipe is in the wall, I can't reach it to wrap thread tape around the end. Should I get some type of liquid sealer to coat the threads on the inside of the bibb before I put it on to avoid leaks?

Thanks for any thoughts and advice you can offer.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-13, 03:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Did you use pipe joint compound on your threads? Teflon tape sometimes just isn't enough. You MUST use the half spacer on the bibb. That keeps the bib tilted downward so water will evacuate the tube when you turn it off. Standing water in the tube can freeze. With adequate pipe joint compound on the fitting, tighten it up until it and the wedge are tight and up and down positioned. It will work in any position but upside down, but it looks goofy and unprofessional.

Old 07-27-13, 04:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Go in the wall and change the threaded nipple or adapter to a sweat fitting...

What type of hose bib is this??