Pressure test

Old 07-31-13, 12:27 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pressure test

Yes I am a newbie and I am just coming here for advice so if you want to make fun of me or haze me, go ahead, but I have a question and I want to get some advice for the pros--that dont have an interest in getting paid.

I have a rental home that I just bought and I am trying to get the gas turned on. The gas company told me I need a 24 hour pressure test...so I did that.

When they came out to turn the gas on, I was told I need a pressure gauge on the line at the time they turn on the gas. So I called the company I used for the pressure test back and they said they wont leave the gauge there, but would call the gas company and say the lines are ok. Gas company will not accept this.

So now what? Can I, a man with lots of skills but among them is not being handy around the house, do this myself? The guy at home depot made it sound really simple, but then why can't the gas company do the simple test when they turn it on?

If I have this correct, all I have to do is find the 1/4 nipple outside, install a guage, pump up the line and wait. Is that right?

Thanks for any help you can give. If you need financial/business planning advice, I can repay you in that.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-13, 04:26 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need to go back and add your location to your profile.
Never heard of such a thing.
In my area the gas company test for leaks, no leaks it connects the gas, lights the pilots and moves on.
No clue why they would need a gauge attached when pressurizing.

Old 07-31-13, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
You need a gauge is mormal code to pass inspection... It needs to hold pressure for so many hours...

You must pump up to half the gauge reading... So normally you get a 30 psi gauge and pump up to 15 psi... The inspector will look then come back in 24 hours....

When you test you need to turn off all gas valves in the house... And they must be new style.. If old grease valves then they need to be changes... Also normal test spot is at the meter... Need to disconnect there at the union and install test gauge there....