Plumber didn't include drain venting in new bathroom

Old 08-06-13, 10:26 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Plumber didn't include drain venting in new bathroom

I paid a "professional" plumber to put in the drain system for my new bathroom that will be in the shed I'm building. I asked about a vent at the time and he said because it was just a small bathroom that I could use a "faux" vent once we put all the fixtures in after the shed was built. I didn't think much of it at the time because I trusted him unfortunately. Now that I'm ready to move forward with this project (a year later) I thought I'd research a little to make sure all is well before I put the floor in the shed. After a day of reading I've realized that there should definitely be a proper vent line and I'm angry that this wasn't done. At this point, I'm going to do it myself since paying a plumber is not what I'm feeling after the last one.

Any suggestions to where I should put the vent based on the pics? The toilet is tied directly to the main sewer line (partially uncovered toward the outside wall in first pic) and the other 3 drains connect under the toilet (in second pic). Is this easily fixable? Can I add vent without redoing the entire thing?

Thanks for your time

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-13, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
whats the two orange and one blue capped pipes?

One my be a vent if a sink but I have to analysis.... Never say that fitting used below the toilet...

Northerners do things different then the states....

Old 08-07-13, 05:22 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I second Mike's question about the two capped pipes on the right of the last photo.
If I'm understanding correctly the setup, Furthest left pipe is a tub or shower. Larger Flanged pipe is the Captain’s chair (toilet). One of the others would be the sink I would assume, but that would put the toilet in the middle of the room/shed?

Looking beyond the original question... I'm a bit concerned you're going to have some freezing issues with that setup, and or not pass an inspection with the current arrangement.
Pipe work buried in the dirt, but building supported by 4x4's in deck blocks?

Not to go too off topic, but could you provide a bit more info and background on the final goal of this project, and your general location (Province and or nearest major city)?
From what I can see, your current arrangement would turn into a real disaster in a short time in my area (Central/Northern Ontario). I would hate to see this happen if we can help prevent it.

lawrosa,
Building codes are fairly similar here as in NJ (except maybe some electrical items, Nashkat1 always burns my butt for electrical items that are code here, and not south of the border).
The few major exceptions here (depending on where in Canada) would be frost levels and snow loads for the roofing.

Old 08-07-13, 06:04 AM
W
I wish I'd thought of one of those when I built my shed. My Mother in Law keeps calling the shed her new home... Boo.

I can't think of anywhere in Canada that you wouldn't get pipe freezing issues with this setup.

Old 08-07-13, 06:21 AM
N
Originally Posted by wildbill7145
I wish I'd thought of one of those when I built my shed. My Mother in Law keeps calling the shed her new home... Boo.

I can't think of anywhere in Canada that you wouldn't get pipe freezing issues with this setup.
I'm going to be doing a full bath (shower, not tub) in my new garage. Good for when I go mtn biking with the boys. No more dancing with the garden hose before the wife lets us in the house.

As for freezing, I was thinking maybe Vancouver and surrounding, but even there, this would be a code issue. Looking at the photos again, it does look like a camp/cottage. Could be a kind of bathroom out building. Would need to be drained every fall and even that wouldn't guarantee pipes won't split, or the building/pipes shift with the frost and break something.
A bit more background information is needed for sure.

Old 08-24-13, 08:08 PM
T
when you say professional plumber, how do you know this. did you see his journeyman or master plumber certificate? Im a union commercial plumber. I will tell you what i see wrong just by the picture. #1 he used ABS pipe. #2 the pipes are not under frost level depending on what state your in. #3 He used a cross type T for your toilet drain connecting your floor drain and lavs together. This makes it hard to snake clogged lines out. #4 The toilet flange looks like it is sitting directly on the support beam not allowing enough room for subfloor and tile. #5 you are correct he did not even vent the whole system. Now, you could simply cut in a 2" Y and a 2" 45 about 10" back from that trapped floor drain and run you a pipe up into the stud walls for a vent. Any plumber can do this in 1 hour tops. I would also cut off the toilet flange and just extend the 3" pipe up about a 1" until the floor is finished then cut it off to level when the floor is done. i also see what looks like a blue pipe, if that is your water supply i hope it is upinor or wirsbo pipe and you want to insulate it before burying it.

Old 08-24-13, 08:24 PM
N
Tyler,
ABS is pretty common in Canada. That being said, the OP never returned to answer the questions we had.
The intent of this design is fairly questionable. I wouldhave loved to get more info to see if there is a bigger picture we're missing.