Kitchen faucet only provides hot water. Newbie needs help!

Old 08-09-13, 10:33 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kitchen faucet only provides hot water. Newbie needs help!

So we just moved into our house here and noticed that the kitchen faucet only outputs hot water. Since it is summer in AZ, I initially thot well thats par for the course!

But I looked under the sink and there are 4 sets of pipes. See pic
Two of the pipes lead to the faucet. Two more are just turned off and lead nowhere but when opened up they do provide water at a considerable flow rate.

Of the two pipes leading to the faucet. One is a 1/4 turn only. Switching off the 1/4 turn only reduces the water flow.

I am wondering if there could be any possible reason for this peculiar set-up and how I would go about fixing it.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-13, 10:49 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 481 Votes on 442 Posts
I can only guess that there may have been two faucets at one time and they had individual supplies for each. Are you able to look through the hole in the wall and see how the four pipes are plumbed or connected? I hope it's not two on one side are hot and the other two are cold.

Some valves are 1/4 turn and I prefer them over other types as they seem to clog less often and they are quick and easy to open & close.

I assume you have a dishwasher. The copper pipe coming out of the left (hot) supply line leads to it.

I would turn off both valves (that are connected). Open the sink faucet on cold. Then go below and open the right hand 1/4 turn valve and see if water starts flowing from the sink. Then turn the right 1/4 turn valve off and open the faucet to hot only and open the left hand valve below the sink and see if water starts flowing.

Old 08-09-13, 12:38 PM
M
Thanks for the prompt reply Pilot Dane.

I cannot really see down into the hole. But as far as I can see the 4 pipes are not connected. I think it is precisely that: "two on one side are hot and the other two are cold"

Because whatever I do I cannot get cold water out of the faucet. It could be that the previous owner connected them wrong... or it could be some other reason. Yes we have a dishwasher. That is where the copper tube is going.

So here is what I found.

1. When faucet is turned to cold. No water flows, regardless of position of connected valves
2. When faucet is turned to hot. Water flows only when left hand valve is opened. The right hand 1/4 turn valve only reduces the flow rate. But even when it is off water still flows if the LH valve is open

Old 08-09-13, 01:14 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 481 Votes on 442 Posts
It sounds like your #2 situation water is back flowing through the faucet and out through the right hand valve. Where it's going has really got me wondering.

I would pick up a flexible connection hose from a home center or plumbing supply. The line that connect from the shutoff valve to the faucet. They are only a couple dollars. I'd hook the hose up to one of the unused valves on the left and put the other end in a bucket and open the valve and see what happens. Maybe you can find your cold water.

Old 08-09-13, 01:38 PM
M
Again, thank you for your help in troubleshooting this situation. I think I need to take out the faucet and see if there is a port for the cold water that I can connect to.

I did this, albeit inadvertently and without a bucket. Got a face full of cold water. So thats my cold water, no doubt.

Any theories as to:
1. Why the two pipes could have been left unconnected?
2. Why the hot water and cold water have two pipes each. One with regular valve and one with 1/4 turn valve

hmmm not sure if I understood your first paragraph. Let me restate #2 more clearly

2. Only two pipes are connected. The one on the left has a regular valve (LR) and the one of the right has a 1/4 turn valve (RQ). When faucet is turned to hot. Water flows only when LR is opened. Adjusting RQ only seems to alter the flowrate slightly. Even when RQ is off water still flows if the LR valve is open. Also when faucet is turned to cold no water flows regardless of any valve position.

Old 08-09-13, 05:09 PM
M
I;m not sure what you mean, Dan (?). The temperature of the water remains the same (hot) regardless of how open either of the two connected valves are.

Old 08-09-13, 05:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Both right side valves must be hot then....

Is there basement access??? Why not trace the pipes????

Old 08-09-13, 05:28 PM
M
Hi, lawrosa, thanks for your input. No there is no basement access. Its AZ!

Old 08-09-13, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Remove the supplys and point them in a bucket... Add supplys to the other valves and do the same... Run each one in a bucket to see if HC.....

Its not that difficult......Feel the pipes... etc......