LP supply line from tank to 20KW generator

Old 08-09-13, 05:17 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LP supply line from tank to 20KW generator

I am planning on getting a Generac 6244 20KW backup generator. I have purchased a used 250 gal. propane tank to supply the LP gas. I am planning on putting the generator at the rear of my cabin and will need to run the supply line about 250 l.f. from the bottom of our very steep hill (about an 18% grade) . I cannot put the tank any closer because the bob-tail propane delivery truck will not be able to climb the hill. Question: is this doable? If so, what size supply line will it take to supply the generator? I plan on putting the LP gas line in a schedule 80 buryable PVC conduit all the way from tank to generator. What is the best type of piping to use poly, CSST flexible pipe, or what?(Cost is a consideration). Thanks, TheRonz

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-13, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
You wont run long with a 250 gal tank... Less then a day???

What do you need 20kw for??? A cabin?

If so you need to rethink IMO...... Let us know more and we would be glad to help....

Old 08-09-13, 06:51 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Not sure how things work there but most places will not allow A DIY do this work and you would need a permit.
Did you check to see if the propane company will fill a tank they did not supply?

Liquid Propane Vapor (LP) -

3/4" - Max 15 Feet
1" Pipe - Max 115 Feet
1-1/4" Pipe - Max 480 Feet
Note: LP Pipe sizes are using a second stage regulator.

The pipe sizes are measured by inside diameter (ID) to include any fittings, valves (Must be full flow), elbows, tees or angles. Add 2.5 ft. per any bend, tee or angle in the pipe to the overall distance.

A PROPERLY SIZED GAS PIPE IS CRITICAL TO THE PROPER OPERATION OF THE GENERATOR.

The generator inlet size has no bearing on the proper gas pipe size.
It uses less then 2, gals per hour at 50% load.
Generac Power Systems - Guardian Series 20 kW

Old 08-09-13, 07:03 PM
T
Thanks for the reply. The cabin is all electric, 1500 sq.ft. with range, microwave, fridge, freezer, washer, dryer, water heater, pump, central air & heat. According to Generac the 20kw will use about 3 gals. propane per hour at full load, which we will probably never run it at, which I figure will give us about 65 hrs.( 200 gals. propane / 3 gals + or - per hr). We would most likely only use it for the fridge, freezer, pump and a few lights and fans, but would like the capacity to run more if needed. I don't have the capability to install a 500 gal. tank, but could add another 250 gal. tank if needed. Thanks.

Old 08-09-13, 07:13 PM
T
Thanks. I will most likely hire a lic. plumber. We are not in the city limits and no permit is required. I checked with the propane supplier and they will fill my tank as long as it has the data plate and does not have too much rust pitting which mine doesn't. What would be the best/economical pipe material? Thanks.