Bathtub Faucet Replacement

Old 08-12-13, 05:41 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathtub Faucet Replacement

I am trying to replace my tub faucet in my bathroom. It is a 1920's home with no shower, but I am trying to replace the faucet pictured with a faucet with a diverter for a shower attachment. I went at the faucet with a vice-grips and thought everything was going well, then I noticed that I was actually unscrewing much more than I should be. In the pictures you can see that the faucet is actually attached to the brass pipe, behind the acrylic tub, there is a large black ring attached to the brass tube. It feels like the brass pipe was attached to something in the wall, but the whole pipe faucet and black ring is loose. The entire pipe is threaded also. Any idea on where to go next from here, I have thought about cutting the pipe off, but not sure I would have enough to thread it back into the wall, and the new faucet

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-13, 05:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
Are you trying to replace the faucet or just the spout?

If just the spout then you may need to buy or make up a new pipe nipple to replace the one you chewed-up. Also you will need to know about your new spout. Some thread onto the end of the pipe while others slide over a smooth piece of pipe and are held in place with a screw. If the spout screws onto the pipe then how far the pipe protrudes is very important. Often it's easier to solder two male threaded fitting onto the ends of a copper pipe cut to the correct length.

Old 08-12-13, 06:09 AM
P
Just the Spout

I am trying to take just the spout off, I would thread a new pipe in, if I could get the black ring off on the inside. It is bigger than the hole in the tub so i cannot just pull it through.

Old 08-12-13, 06:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
Why do you need to remove the "black ring"? Can't you unscrew the brass pipe nipple from it?

Old 08-12-13, 11:44 AM
D
I have seem where a threaded flange was installed in the wall area of the tub supply. The spout was installed onto the pipe, the pipe inserted through the tub hole and the threaded to a 90. The flange was screwed on from the back side and used to bind the spout into place instead of using wooden wedges to hold the pipe in place. Can you hold the brass pipe and unscrew the spout. Insert a handle into the spout hole to give you leverage.