Laundry drain pipe

Old 08-13-13, 08:08 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Laundry drain pipe

Im having issues with our laundry room drain. It overflows every time the laundry machine cycles through. The kitchen sink(above) is connected to the same drain, as well as the bar sink, which is on the adjacent wall. The laundry room is in the rear corner of the house and the main drain to the street is in the front middle of the house. When the drain overflows, sometimes there is black stuff that comes up and the bar sink makes a gurgling noise. Any suggestions as to how to fix this problem are much appreciated, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-13, 09:24 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 438 Posts
How large is the drain pipe? It should be 2" but I've often seen them 1 1/2" which has difficulty handling the flow rate when a washer is pumping out. You may have a partial clog in the drain line. The slower flow of a sink faucet can still make it through but the washer can pump out water much faster causing it to back-up. Do not bother with pour down the drain chemicals. They are hazardous and I've never seen them help. The drain line needs to be mechanically snaked out.

Old 08-13-13, 10:07 AM
N
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
A couple things I didn't see mentioned was pee traps and a vent.

Besides a clog further down the line (which I've see and experienced), Venting and pee trap usage tends to be the next failure points.
Is there a vent pipe near where the laundry drain and sinks come together?
Is there a pee trap between the laundry hookup and the tee?
Is there a pee trap below or behind the sink?

Old 08-13-13, 10:22 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The drain pipe is cast iron 2", above the ground where I can see it. I forgot to mention that this drain was cleaned professionally by a water jet and it worked for a few months but the problem came back. I used a 25 foot snake but that only helps with the amount of water backing up. I also stuck a water hose down there on full open and no water backed up.

There is a pee trap under the drain and under the bar sink. There is no vent hooked up to the laundry

Old 08-13-13, 10:38 AM
N
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
I had a similar arrangement in my previous home (no vent). The wash tub would get a bit of backup on occation (or I only noticed on occation) and the kitchen sink directly above would gurgling.
A few years later, I can now tell you it was because I had no vent (honestly, I don't know if there was any vents in that house).

I'm leaning towards a vent being needed.

I'm not sure what the code regarding vents is like in your area. My current arrangement (right or wrong) has a straight pipe leading up with a vent cap just above the bottom of the joists in the basement. This may be an easy solution for you, but confirm with your local building code before doing so.