Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Well Water Pressure Weak and Pump Aways Runs

I am perplexed. I can't get the pressure up. Here is what happened/
11 Year Old Home
Submersible Well Pump - Franklin Electric 8.6a 1hp 3450 RPM
WellXTrol Pressure Tank 20 Gallon (202)
(new last week) 760 Logix Autotrol Softner/Brine Tank
(new now) Square D 40/60 Pressure Switch

I let the well brine tank run dry and we had the water cut off -. I believe it may have clogged with iron. So I put salt crystals back into the tank and ran the regeneration cycle The old 440 Autotrol controller camshaft broke and it wasn't back flushing, so I replaced it with a 760 Logix controller/timer. Before I did that the pressure was weak after it came back on from the new salts - 22 PSI and turned on the softener bypass and had the same 22 PSI results.

I checked the WellXTrol 20 gallon tank after bleeding all water out of the lines and it was at 12 PSI. (I have a 40/60 Pumptrol Switch) So I inflated it to 38PSI (same 22PSI water pressure result - the pump runs constantly)

So, I used emery cloth on the contacts of the pressure switch - no change.
I replaced the pressure switch and pressure gauge - no change. Well constantly runs 24/7

I can only get 22 PSI on a good day and my well runs constantly. No matter what setting I make it on the square-d pressure controller, it stays on and runs my well. I'm stumped as to why and how I can increase my pressure.

Ive replaced the water PSI gauge, I've taken out the WellXTrol valve next to the pressure gauge, I've replaced the softener timer, regenerated it, I've cleaned out all I could find. BUT the well always runs and the pressure is no more then 22PSI all the time. I have no idea how to rectify this.

Last edited by JSmith856; 08-14-13 at 09:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-13, 09:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 835 Votes on 782 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Just curious...... how can you tell the pump is running ?

If your pump is indeed running 24/7 then it's time for it be pulled and inspected.
If you had an amprobe (clamp on current meter) you could clip it on one of the pump supply wires to see if it's drawing near the nameplate rating.

Last edited by PJmax; 08-14-13 at 11:07 PM.
Old 08-14-13, 09:18 PM
J
Thanks for the welcome.
The switch is always closed and the well is on when its closed.
I do not have a clamp on ammeter. Just a voltmeter.

Old 08-14-13, 11:13 PM
Group Moderator
Received 835 Votes on 782 Posts
The switch is always closed and the well is on when its closed.
You assume the well is running when the switch is closed. You don't really know for sure.

It's pretty strait forward..... only your pump creates pressure. If your pump is running and the pressure is not increasing then the pump has a problem. The only real way to know if the pump is actually running and operating correctly is to measure the amperage draw.

Old 08-14-13, 11:28 PM
J
If i remove the well power via either the breaker or the low pressure shut off on the pressure switch then the well shuts off. I know the well is pumping because if I leave the valve open after I empty the pressure tank, I can have water flowing at 22psi into my basement out of the spigot so yeah the well is running.