leaking toilet

Old 02-17-01, 07:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Angry

toilet is leaking to the downstairs. i bought the house 2 years ago and can tell they had a problem before. what chance is there that the floor is damaged under the bowl? do you think i can replace it? if yes, how? did i mention, i am a woman who doesn't know a thing about this?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-01, 08:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

A toilet is sealed with a wax seal to a flange attached to the floor.
If this wax seal fails, it will leak and can cause rot damage to the wood floor under the toilet.
It is not difficult to replace the wax seal and check the flooring under the toilet.
You can do it.
To remove and replace a toilet:
Buy new wax seal and a set of two new toilet bolts.
a. Turn off water supply to toilet.
b. Flush toilet and sponge out left-over water in tank and bowl into nearby drain.
c. Disconnect water supply line at valve.
d. Remove bolts at base of toilet on both sides.
e. CAREFULLY (porcelain breaks easily) turn toilet over onto towels or old carpet scrap on floor. Get someone to help you handle toilet, if necessary. Stuff rag or 12-oz. plastic cup into drain hole to prevent sewer gas from entering bathroom. Check the flooring under toilet for damage. If it feels solid, proceed.
f. Scrape off old wax seal from toilet base and flange.
G. Set new wax seal on flange.
H. Install new bolts into slots of flange (use old nuts on new bolts to keep them upright and centered in place).
I. Sit toilet straight down onto new wax seal.
J. Sit/stand on toilet and wiggle it down onto wax seal, until toilet is sitting on floor.
K. Check level of toilet with a level across bowl.
L. Tighten new washers and nuts onto both toilet bolts. Don't over-tighten, because it may crack base. Just snug the nuts down good.
See how easy that is. If you need any help, just come back here, and we'll help you through it.
Good Luck!