Replacing siding where main shutoffs enter house. What to do?

Old 08-15-13, 09:43 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing siding where main shutoffs enter house. What to do?

I'm replacing old dry rotten/termite eaten siding on my newly purchased home, and wondering what to do about the area where my main gas and water lines run into the house.

Background: my home style is "Eichler", a mid-century modern design which is surfaced with 4'x9 1/2' milled siding. This means that any pipes entering the home are pain to deal with -- I've done this for some simple work like outdoor faucets so far.

1) Water shutoff

It's very old gate valve and doesn't seem to completely shut off my water. I do have a curb side shutoff, and since I am opening up the wall (removing the entire 4'x9' siding panel), it might be a good time to replace the valve (maybe with a ball valve instead?).

2) Gas shutoff

As you can see in the picture, the gas line enters the home near the shutoff. I need to shutoff the gas (no problem there) and then have the line temporarily removed so I can remove the siding and replace it with a fresh piece (the siding would be pre-bored to fit over the pipe protruding from the house and then the pipe would just be re-connected).

I'm not set on doing this myself, since plumbing is one of the areas I have the least experience in, but I will be replacing the siding so it's time to research this. I would either:
a) consider doing it myself after more research and feedback from the folks here.
b) hire a professional, but would like to get informed here, so I know what to look for or ask for.

I know gas work can be dangerous, so my first inclination is to hire someone, although I hate to do so for something that looks as simple. Would this be a fast, inexpensive job for a plumber? I'd also like to hear any suggestions on DIY so I can make an educated decision.

Attached Images   
Old 08-17-13, 07:45 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, change that water valve to a ball valve. Gas is not a big deal either. Just make sure that you give it a soap test & light all the pilot lights, when you're done, if you have any.

Old 08-17-13, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
As far as the water replace all that piping, valve , and hose bib.... I assume they have that loop because they put that main shut off there... Why its outside may be a CA thing... Not sure if thats required, but I would remove all that and make the main shut off accessible to inside the home... Make an access panel? Dont know whats on the other side..

If that hose bib has a steel nipple you may want to get rid of that and make a more flush install so it looks neater..

This will all require soldering... Not hard to do but may be challenging if you never done it before...

Gas you should not need to touch... Just side arould where the pipe enters the home... If that regulator is too close to the home you would call the gas company to adjust that....

Old 08-18-13, 06:22 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Have you considered just notching out the panel and then reassembling it with a bit of caulk? Since it will be painted (I assume) and is likely on the side of the house, it may be an easier solution that disconnecting and reconnecting the piping.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: