Replacing siding where main shutoffs enter house. What to do?


Old 08-15-13, 09:43 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Replacing siding where main shutoffs enter house. What to do?

I'm replacing old dry rotten/termite eaten siding on my newly purchased home, and wondering what to do about the area where my main gas and water lines run into the house.

Background: my home style is "Eichler", a mid-century modern design which is surfaced with 4'x9 1/2' milled siding. This means that any pipes entering the home are pain to deal with -- I've done this for some simple work like outdoor faucets so far.

1) Water shutoff

It's very old gate valve and doesn't seem to completely shut off my water. I do have a curb side shutoff, and since I am opening up the wall (removing the entire 4'x9' siding panel), it might be a good time to replace the valve (maybe with a ball valve instead?).

2) Gas shutoff

As you can see in the picture, the gas line enters the home near the shutoff. I need to shutoff the gas (no problem there) and then have the line temporarily removed so I can remove the siding and replace it with a fresh piece (the siding would be pre-bored to fit over the pipe protruding from the house and then the pipe would just be re-connected).

I'm not set on doing this myself, since plumbing is one of the areas I have the least experience in, but I will be replacing the siding so it's time to research this. I would either:
a) consider doing it myself after more research and feedback from the folks here.
b) hire a professional, but would like to get informed here, so I know what to look for or ask for.

I know gas work can be dangerous, so my first inclination is to hire someone, although I hate to do so for something that looks as simple. Would this be a fast, inexpensive job for a plumber? I'd also like to hear any suggestions on DIY so I can make an educated decision.
Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-13, 07:45 AM
Temporarily Suspended
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NY
Posts: 10,986
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, change that water valve to a ball valve. Gas is not a big deal either. Just make sure that you give it a soap test & light all the pilot lights, when you're done, if you have any.
Old 08-17-13, 08:01 AM
lawrosa's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Galivants Ferry SC USA
Posts: 18,139
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
As far as the water replace all that piping, valve , and hose bib.... I assume they have that loop because they put that main shut off there... Why its outside may be a CA thing... Not sure if thats required, but I would remove all that and make the main shut off accessible to inside the home... Make an access panel? Dont know whats on the other side..

If that hose bib has a steel nipple you may want to get rid of that and make a more flush install so it looks neater..

This will all require soldering... Not hard to do but may be challenging if you never done it before...

Gas you should not need to touch... Just side arould where the pipe enters the home... If that regulator is too close to the home you would call the gas company to adjust that....
Old 08-18-13, 06:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 5,124
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
Have you considered just notching out the panel and then reassembling it with a bit of caulk? Since it will be painted (I assume) and is likely on the side of the house, it may be an easier solution that disconnecting and reconnecting the piping.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: