Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

Water valves (hot and cold) must be corrosive free and within 6 ft. of hookup

Old 08-17-13, 04:58 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

These are pre-delivery instructions for my new washer. So what if the valves are not corrosive free? Is this a DIY job or need we get a plumber? Can the valves be cleaned or must they be replaced? And please, explain in detail and simple words -- act like I'm an idiot , even though I'm not. I'm just plumbing jargon knowledgeable. I read another answer which I think was addressing this situation, but I didn't understand the answer. Thank you so much!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-13, 05:56 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Got to say I Googled because I thought most potable water valves were non corrosive. I didn't come up with anything really but for an appliance delivery service that used the phrase non corrosive valve but then thy also said you needed a 110 volts which is not the correct voltage so I thing that was written by someone who didn't have a clue what they were writing. Of course the pros will be along and perhaps prove me wrong on my assumption the non corrosive valve is just fairy dust. Call the company and ask for a list of valve materials (example brass) which are acceptable.

Old 08-17-13, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Did they say corrosive free...or CORROSION free? I'd bet they just mean they can't be all covered in green stuff which can happen with a leaky valve. Though they could be talking about old steel valves.

If you can turn them off and the water flow is stopped, they should be good.

Old 08-17-13, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Post the make and model of washer please...

But what they mean is some old washer hoses that have been installed for a long time are corroded to the valves... Often I need to cut them of and / or replace the valves...If I do get them off sometimes they need a wire brush to clean up the threads so the new hose threads on all the way..

pre-delivery instructions
They ( the delivery people) dont do anything above and beyond.. If corroded they will not install. They do not want to be liable for leaks and such...

Old 08-17-13, 07:40 PM
Ahhh corrosion free makes sense. But at least one appliance delivery site does say corrosive free: Appliance-Delivery and that through me off.

Old 08-17-13, 08:09 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Corrosion or corrosive free valves for LG Washer WT1101CW

I copied and pasted the line from the instructions, so they SAID corrosive. I interpreted it to mean "corrosion free," as in not rusted/green and incapable of making a smooth connection with the water hoses, rather than not spewing corrosive elements. They require new hoses to be purchased with the machine (not a problem as the current hoses are 5-6 years old anyway). My concern is with the valve condition and how to remedy it if they are corroded. I have NO idea when or if those have been replaced since the house was built. THAT was in 1949. My husband is going to look tomorrow, and if they need replacing, he will need clear instructions on how to do it -- IF it is something a DIYer can do. If you think he should not (and we are cash-strapped, so I am hoping he can), give the bad news gently please.

ELECTRICITY IS NOT THE ISSUE. We will not be doing anything there but plugging the thing in. Their only concern is that the distance be within 6 feet of the water hookups (I assume this is based on the length of the cord to be plugged in.) Or maybe they want the valves within 6['of the machine, due to the length of the hoses. Either way, we have that covered.

Thanks for all of your help!

Home Depot
LG Electronics 4.3 cu. ft. High-Efficiency Front Control Top Load Washer in White, ENERGY STAR
Model # WT1101CW Internet # 203578178 Store SO SKU # 599790

Old 08-18-13, 05:47 AM
I'd suggest remove the old hoses and clean off any minor corrosion before they come. That way you know there won't be a problem. If necessary a pair of water pump pliers or a pipe wrench may be necessary to loosen the hose.

If you can't get the hoses off then and only then you may need to cut them off and replace the valves. There an 80% chance in a house that old the valves just unscrew. If you know where the main water cutoff for the house is and have two pipe wrenches you hopefully won't have a problem. Just remember to always use one pipe wrench to hold the pipe or fitting and one to unscrew the valve. If a threaded valve use pipe dope or tape when installing the new valve.

Any questions or problems please post back.