The shower is p ouring out water down the wall....

Old 08-21-13, 09:45 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The shower is p ouring out water down the wall....

So this is my dilemma... I did this tub and tile job maybe 6 years ago with brand new copper supply lines, and then covered the mortar board with a one of a kind custom tile pattern.

A ccouple years back there was no hot water coming out of this shower. I looked up the guts of the Amer Standard value and it turned out that their part was defective, and the company sent another part right away. But it was a bear for me to troubleshoot, because it was the last thing I would have expected to be the problem, the shower value assembly was brand new, and wasn't particularly inexpensive.

Ok so now here is the problem... I was in the basement and my kid was taking a shower and I see a good amount of water coming down the wall into the basement. It isn't coming out of a waste pipe.

Well I recently had someone install low flow showerheads, but my shower (another bathroom) still seems to be functioning fine, so I don't know if that could be it..
But we all agree that water coming down behind my tile is not an optimal situation, don't we?

Advice? I hate to think that I might have to knock out the tile to open up the wall to see what is going on in there..
And If it is the Amercian Standard value assembly that is creating this problem...i will replace it and never buy American Standard again.

ok i found the box
AMERICAN STANDARD WILLIAMSBURG 1041.229,002

I appreciate any and all advice. P.S. I am female too, so I may not be too smart at this.
Thanks, Cheers

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-13, 10:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 825 Votes on 775 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I agree that water coming down the wall is not an optimal condition. You're going to have to open the wall back up to see what is leaking. Is there a closet behind the shower valve ?

It can be easier to open the sheetrock in a closet then pull tile out.

The low flow shower head can accentuate the problem but is not the cause of it.

Old 08-21-13, 10:19 PM
J
oh dear...
actually it is to the outside of the house..
shoot being as I completely re did this bathroom, duh, I probably should have turned it around 180 degrees, and then it would be as simple as interior sheet rock.
I will remember for next time...
Well for the time being, the kid better get his towel and soap and head to the river!

I think MrHowls and I are going to follow your dog's example..we are going to go for a run

Thank you PJmax !

Old 08-21-13, 10:34 PM
Group Moderator
Received 825 Votes on 775 Posts
You're welcome. I wish I had some better advice but in this case there really isn't any.

A little story....
My sister bought a condo. She had been in there several years. She had a fiberglass tub/shower enclosure. Asked me to come over to fix a leaking shower valve.

It was a single handle faucet and was constantly dripping from the tub spout. The nut that holds the cartridge in was frozen good. I used a big pair of channellock pliers to loosen it and the whole valve spun/turned in the wall. It was connected with little copper tubes that just twisted.

The nut did not loosen. By some miracle the valve didn't leak in the wall. I would have opened the wall behind it except that was the closet where they chose to install the water heater.....back to back with the shower.

I kept putting off the repair for like almost a year until the water heater started leaking. Tore out the old water heater, the wall and the old shower valve. Started over with new.

Old 08-21-13, 11:59 PM
J
lol at the irony of your story...I could practically see you there, channel locks in hand..

But I wonder how much you told your sister... Not too terribly long ago if my copper pipes went twisty I might have yelled, loudly.

Oh it is so great to realize nothing is worth yelling about, not even twisty copper pipes!
Thanks for the reality check

Old 08-22-13, 04:17 AM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
I suspect that the new shower arm that attaches to the low flow shower head and extends into the wall does not have a good seal with the drop elbow inside the wall. If you pull the escusion off the shower arm and slide it forward you can see into the wall cavity behind it. Hold a bucket with one hand to catch water, turn the shower on and look inside the hole with a flashlight. You will be able to see dripping water if that is the problem. The shower arm screws into the drop elbow. You will need some pipe sealant and Teflon tape. Unscrew, goop up the end and re-install.

Old 08-22-13, 08:46 PM
J
ok, ty vm. I understood every word.