Reaplacing a leaking well jet pump

Old 08-26-13, 09:33 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Reaplacing a leaking well jet pump

How difficult is this? My regular plumber told me he cannot do this because it's too specialized, and his "pump guy" is off for a couple weeks. We have a point well, and the pump sits on the basement floor. I assumed any plumber could do this job. Another plumber came today, and said it would cost $1,200(includes pump) plus materials. Is he out of his mind? A 3/4 hp Flotec pump at Home Depot costs $226. Is that a decent pump? I'm trying to find a plumber that can do this for me. Thanks.

Old 08-26-13, 09:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,473 Votes on 1,361 Posts
What is the application. Irrigation or water supply for house ?

That Flotec pump is an inexpensive replacement pump. Based on your duty it may not last.

Old 08-27-13, 07:13 AM
O
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Is the line in the well leaking or is the pump defective?

Changing the pump is pretty much child's play if you ask me. Finding and fixing a leak inside the well can take some time and expertise but not all that difficult either.

Old 08-27-13, 09:15 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 851 Votes on 786 Posts
We really need to know where it is leaking and what needs replacing. Since you mention the pump I assume that it the source of the leak which is pretty rare. If there is a leak at the pump it's usually a fitting that needs tightening or it was allowed to freeze, cracking the housing.

Old 08-27-13, 09:37 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This is our main water supply for the house. It sits on the basement floor, and appears to be leaking from the seal. PLEASE tell me $1,200 is a ridiculously high price. It's a Wagner pump, and I think it's the original one from 1975.

If the Flotec pump is a piece of junk, what do you recommend? It's a 1/2 HP currently. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: