Need to change the toilet flange.

Old 09-03-13, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need to change the toilet flange.

I need to change the toilet flange. I'm not quite sure how to do this. The toilet sits unevenly. I mean it bolts down OK, but it has problems with leaking. I was wondering if there was any way to cut out the old PVC and install a new one. Plus its all rotted out and its not holding anymore.

Thanx

Jim

Old 09-03-13, 08:50 AM
T
By "rotted out" I assume you mean the steel ring on the PVC flange and maybe the flooring too. Toward the bottom of this page you will see two items that may help you out. One is "The Clam" replacement ring that fits around the existing PVC flange and just below that is a floor repair plate kit. I have never used these myself and I don't know if they are available at big box stores, I never noticed them but never looked for them. If the floor is badly rotted, you're better off patching some plywood in for the screws to bite into. The rotting and leaking is the result of a misaligned or inadequately sized wax ring.

Old 09-03-13, 09:07 AM
I'm sorry I should have mentioned the floor is concrete. There is no basement.

Jim

Old 09-03-13, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
If its PVC in the slab, and hopefully its not the hub and you have pipe to work with, you will need a inside cutter...

Then depending on how much pipe you have you add a coupling and an inside glue flange...

You will need to break up some cement around the pipe and then re-cement when your done...

Old 09-03-13, 10:34 AM
Hmm. You say inside cutter. What kind of inside cutter could I use. And you say hub. What do you mean by hub.

Thanx

Jim

Old 09-03-13, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Votes on 60 Posts
You will need to cut off the old flange... Although if you take a pic you may be able to use a repair flange...

If not then you need to see how much pipe in the slab you have to work with... Some elbows with the hub are right at floor level and the flange glued into the hub of the elbow.

If that is the case you will need to remove that ell. That will mean more cement work....

If you have enough pipe under the slab then you can use a coupling and inside glue flange that glues inside the fitting and not around the pipe...

This is a inside cutter.

This type is better.

Old 09-03-13, 12:21 PM
I do not think the hub is right at the floor level. I pretty sure it glues inside the pipe. I think I pick up one of those cutters you described.

Thanx

Jim

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: