Toilet flange bent in two spots (near screw holes)

Old 09-05-13, 12:24 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Toilet flange bent in two spots (near screw holes)

Hello,

I'm currently doing some bathroom renovations and I have just removed the toilet. Sadly, the toilet flange is bent in two spots (near screw holes). I was wondering what would be the best thing for straightening those two spots.

The flange is flush with the floor so I will need to install a flange extension. The problem is since the current flange is bent, it's near impossible to install the extension.

I definitely would like to avoid changing the flange.

See photos below.

Name:  IMG_1262.jpg
Views: 4450
Size:  13.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1263.jpg
Views: 5308
Size:  18.0 KB

Name:  IMG_1264.jpg
Views: 4449
Size:  17.9 KB

Old 09-05-13, 01:15 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
You could cut out the bent sections and buy a repair flange. You want to try and keep the flange level with the floor, but if your off by as much as a 1/4" you'll be OK.

Old 09-05-13, 01:18 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
It's one more reason I hate plastic toilet flanges. There is no straightening them and yours were close to breaking off. The flange needs to be replaced.

There are stainless steel rings sold in home centers that are designed to repair damaged or broken flanges but I have never had much luck with them. The metal is so thin that they easily bend when tightening the toilet bolts and they often don't fit the existing flange very well and sit up higher which can cause an elevation problem when installing the toilet and a potential leak.

Old 09-05-13, 01:48 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Norm201. I was thinking about that option but I would prefer not to cut the flange.

Pilot Dane Replacing the flange would be hard since I don't have access to the ceiling below the toilet flange.

Old 09-05-13, 02:00 PM
I don't see an alternative. Using a dremel type tool, you can cutout the bent sections of the old flange and insert repair flange. I don't dis-agree with Pilot Dane, but that is what repair flanges are for. There are different types and grades. One of the common mistakes that people will do is over tighten toilet flanges. I've done it myself. When you install the toilet, just firm up the bolts. Then about a day or two later check them and maybe give them a slight tightening again.

Old 09-05-13, 05:27 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Get 2 sets of closet screws/bolts that would hold down the toilet. Harvest the nut and washers from the second set. Mount the screw on the flange so that the flat side underneath captures both the main flange (not bent) and the bent portion. Slip on the washers and additional bolt and ratchet down so that the bend is removed from the flange. Install the toilet as usual and do not over crank the bolts as the previous install did.

Old 09-05-13, 05:40 PM
Neat idea. Wish I thought of that.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: