Water coming up from driveway and meter is not turning

Old 09-06-13, 08:29 AM
Water coming up from driveway and meter is not turning

The driveway is sloped down from the house> I have had the irrigation shut for a week and water is weeping from the driveway. However the meter is not spinning away so I do not want to start digging if I do not have to. Any ideas?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-13, 08:48 AM
Is your incoming water service line near the driveway area?

Old 09-06-13, 08:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Neil!

I'm not sure I understand Do you think you have a plumbing leak? or is it from excessive rain fall? Have you shut off all the water in the house and THEN checked the meter for movement? If no movement, leave everything shut off and go back in 15 minutes to recheck the meter. Leaks don't always leave the meter spinning wildly.

Old 09-06-13, 01:34 PM
Thanks for replies

The meter is on one side of the driveway but the shutoff to the street is on the other.

We have had a ton of rain in GA but very little for a week and 90 + degrees. The water is standing in the seams of the concrete.

I will try the longer test period tonight

THANKS

Old 09-06-13, 01:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Grab a beverage and stool and go park yourself over the meter and watch intently at the little triangle. It will ebb and flow with adjustments to pressures (if your neighbor flushes). But watch for any signs of positive movement. If the triangle eventually spins completely around, then there is a leak. Also, I have been involved with a leak under a slab that was obvious (you could feel heat and hear the hiss) but no movement at the meter. It was an old meter and was probably clogged and not a sensitive as is usually is. I've also been on sites where it took 10 minutes to make a turn and we definitely had a leak with wet carpet and such.

Old 09-06-13, 01:58 PM
Vey
It could also be water in the irrigation pipes slowly draining out the lowest point.