Will Shutting the Valve help prevent frozen pipes and how low house temp?

Old 09-08-13, 12:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Will Shutting the Valve help prevent frozen pipes and how low house temp?

I have one outdoor spicket. The shut off valve for that is about 12 inches inside of the house, in a utility closet in the basement. I live in central New Jersey. If I want to prevent pipes from freezing, is it helpful to shut that valve off during the fall when I won't be using it again until the spring?

I am trying to keep the gas furnace temperature as low as I can without causing a risk of freezing pipes. How low can I bring the thermostat temperature down to and not worry about pipes freezing?

I have a standard 3 bedroom ranch home with a partially finished basement.

Thank you for your advice.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-13, 12:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Well, water will freeze at 32 degrees F. Does it ever get that low in the basement? Have you had frozen pipes before? Turn the valve off and open the faucet outside to let the water out of the pipe and you shouldn't have a problem. And, I know you ran that 14-2 cable right in front of the copper pipe for us, right??

Old 09-08-13, 04:41 PM
hi chandler. thanks for the good advice. i think the 14-2 is not connected to anything, but I will double check and thanks for pointing it out.

so, are you saying that I could leave the thermostat down to 33 and I would be ok? i dont think that the basement has ever gone down to 32. and i don't think that the pipes in this house have ever frozen and busted. but i have notice that the drains seem to get a little more sluggish in the dead of winter, and I am not sure what causes that.

Old 09-08-13, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator
Well, going to be pretty chilly in the house if you go down to 33.

Looks to me like that spigot was already repaired once, since I see a Sharkbite connector on the pipe. The solder on the other joint also looks pretty new. As was said..open the outer valve after closing the shutoff and allow to drain. Close the outer valve 3 of 4 days later (or you may need to replace the washer when the new season starts). A shot of silicone spray up the spout outside with the valve open won't hurt anything.

Old 09-08-13, 05:06 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Someone messed up when that installed that valve, it should have been a ball valve. But that's a whole other story.

Old 09-08-13, 05:06 PM
Yes, I replaced the sill **** myself this spring and used a sharkbite. I was pretty proud of myself for a DIYer!

Old 09-08-13, 05:25 PM
If you are closing the house up for the season, you might want to shut the water off completely and drain the pipes.