What kind of tubing is this and how to replace?

Old 09-11-13, 05:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What kind of tubing is this and how to replace?

I plan on putting in a larger well pressure tank but am a little stumped at the type of tubing that runs from the tank to rest of the house. The incoming tubing appears to be rubber held on by hose clamps. The outgoing tubing is rigid and attached by what appear to be copper clamps. The incoming tubing looks to be about 1" whereas the outgoing is smaller, maybe 3/4"?? The only writing on it I can find just says "potable tubing". I'm probably just going to cut it down the center and try to pry it off the valve end. Is there a suitable replacement I can use instead of what is on there now...say more rubber tubing with hose clamps?
One more thing...the new "tee" fitting I bought has two holes on the end, instead of just one like in the old one (where the drain is). Apparently the added hole is for a pressure release valve. Does it matter which one it is placed in? Does it need to come before or after the drain, or makes no difference?
Thanks for any input!
Name:  tubing.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  41.8 KB
Name:  tubing2.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  40.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-13, 05:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 308 Posts
The incoming line looks like 1-1/4" polyethylene pipe. It's what's used for water supply and sprinkler systems.

The outgoing pipe looks like CPVC. I can't recall if CPVC uses crimp rings. I know PEX does but I didn't think it came in gray.

Old 09-11-13, 06:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Incoming is black plastic pipe into a barbed fitting. Exit is Polybutylene. The crimp rings will need to be cut off in order to remove the stubs. Once they are off, you will need to use IPF to PEX fittings and replace the PB pipe as it is not used any more. If the rest of your house is piped with PB, keep a good eye on all the connections, as they are prone to failure. I would cut it past the ball valve and install a PEX ball valve and replace the pipe as far as I could with PEX and the associated fittings. You will need to buy a crimper, crimping rings, PEX pipe, ball valve and IPF fittings to make it complete.

Old 09-14-13, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I replaced the PB with PEX, went easier than anticipated. I was able to rent a PEX crimper from Menards for $8. Wasn't about to spend $80 buying them.
Name:  005.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  36.0 KB

Old 09-14-13, 02:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 308 Posts
Nice job.... looks good

Old 09-14-13, 03:40 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Nice and clean, good job! A+

Unrelated to the plumbing, you may want to encase those individual wires in flexible metal conduit. Now that the plumbing side looks so nice.

Old 09-14-13, 08:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
I just hope you used a PB-to-PEX connector when you put them together. And it looks as if you did. They are of different ID's and the fittings and associated rings are required. great job!!