questions regarding an expansion tank for my water heater

Old 09-12-13, 12:45 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
questions regarding an expansion tank for my water heater

I recently hooked up 2 heat pump 50 gallon water heaters in series setup. The heaters are supplied by my well. Water pressure to the heaters varies from 40 to 60 psi after passing thru the blue well tank, then the filter and water softener.

I want to install an expansion tank just before the cold water enters the first heater. Being that my water pressure varies from 40 to 60, what pressure would I pump the air up to in the expansion tank?

I have not bought a tank yet. I plan to hang it off the cold water line. Is its hanging down preferable to its being attached so it's above the the cold water line? How close must it be to the water heaters?

Looking forward to some help. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-13, 02:08 AM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
Unless you have a check valve between the water heater and the well pump expansion tank you do not need the additional expansion tank at the water heater.

If you DO have a check valve then the expansion tank at the water heater would be pre-charged on the air side to 60 psi.

Old 09-12-13, 11:50 AM
Thank you for your response.

I'm not sure if there is a check valve in the filter or water softener. So, I thought for safety's sake I'd install one. Seems to be a relatively simple installation

Also, does it matter at what elevation the tank is? For instance, can it sit on the floor or must the tank be above the heaters?

Does the orientation (hanging or 'upright') matter?

Thanks.

Old 09-12-13, 01:15 PM
Received 32 Votes on 24 Posts
Also, does it matter at what elevation the tank is? For instance, can it sit on the floor or must the tank be above the heaters?

Does the orientation (hanging or 'upright') matter?
No, elevation (within reason) is not important and neither is orientation. Remember that eventually the tank will fail and become filled with water. Keep this in mind when mounting the tank.

Old 09-14-13, 08:00 PM
Furd,
Thank you very much for your advice.
gscottm