branch to collect bath water for grass

Old 09-14-13, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
branch to collect bath water for grass

I am thinking about add a branch into the bathtub drain to detour the waste water into the yard for grass. A ball valve will also be added for this purpose.

Please have a look at the attached draft to see if it is practical. What's the potential side effects I may need to deal with?

Thanks,

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-13, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
You would need to check with your codes office to see if grey water ( sinks, showers, laundry, etc) is allowed to be used for irrigation.

I'm sure there are also plumbing code issues with your piping design. Pro's will be around to answer....

Old 09-14-13, 01:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Aside from the code issues Vic mentioned, you state you have a 1" drain line??? Minimum would be 1 1/2". Do you have access to this area under the house? With your drawing, you would never be able to stop the water from going out to the garden, plus the tub is double trapped. Mike will be along for the plumbing lesson later. I just picked on the obvious.

Old 09-14-13, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Larry...you need to have your daughter check your eyes again. It says "1st floor".

Old 09-14-13, 04:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
I've never dealt with gray water drainage before... around here, it's not allowed... My suggestions though:

You would need two valves, so one can be turned on and one off. It would also need to be tied into the piping after the trap, double traps are never a good thing. I'd also want to add a screen or something to the exterior... I wouldn't want something finding it's way into the house that way.

Old 09-14-13, 08:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Oooh, Vic, I am embarrassed. It does say 1st floor, and not 1". Thanks.

Old 09-14-13, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Art ludwig does it best. Love this guy and followed his books on a lot of projects I have done.

Wood chips mulch is the best. But I beleive code everywhere is it must be drained underground and cant be surface discharge.

We dont see this in the east. Its common place out west I believe,

The New Create an Oasis with Greywater (book)

Read some, but what does your town permit? Let us know then we can take it from there. There may be issues with your piping from a venting standpoint....

Old 09-14-13, 11:21 PM
Received 29 Votes on 22 Posts
...plus the tub is double trapped.
No, it isn't. Double trapping is where there are two traps in series. The idea posted may not be allowable but it is not double trapped.

Old 09-15-13, 04:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 120 Votes on 107 Posts
My laundry water runs out a pipe on the side of the hill. It was legal 20+ yrs ago in my county, not going to ask if it still is or not The biggest issue I see with the drawing is you don't want a puddle of water next to the house. It needs to have a way to drain further away from the structure or better yet, drain over a larger area.

As mentioned above you need to see if it will be legal - especially if you have nearby neighbors! Generally rural areas have more leeway than more densely populated ones.

Old 10-03-13, 01:14 PM
Try using a watertwo diverted valve, found here: Watertwo