Pex pipe installed on the ground no insualtion

Old 09-15-13, 04:56 PM
Pex pipe installed on the ground no insualtion

I just had my mobile home plumbed with pex pipe by a professional plumber for a huge cost. He layed it on the ground with no insulation or covering. My hot water temp. has gone down. I'm worried about the pipe being unprotected on the ground. Is this a proper installation?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-13, 05:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! How much of the pex is laying on the ground? Just the lead in, or from front to back and all runs?? I don't understand why any substantial amount is laying on the ground. it would have been cheaper to keep it tight to the frame rather than lengthening it to fit to the ground. Maybe pictures of what you have would help us see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 09-15-13, 05:21 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Since you're in Arizona, you don't have to worry about freezing but I would still insist that he wrap the pipe with that foam insulation. It's not expensive & I think it should be included.

Old 09-15-13, 05:21 PM
AR is Arkansas.....AZ is Arizona. But who's counting?

Old 09-15-13, 08:14 PM
Pex on ground

I'm in Arkansas and it can get below 10 degrees in Arkansas winters. It is mostly laying on the ground the length of the home uncovered. The plumber became belligerent when I complained and said I was nitpicking. I feel cheated since I was charged $2600. I can see how the pipes will freeze and I'll have no water. I'm very angry. He wouldn't even give me and my husband a properly documented receipt.
We were over the barrel because we had a bad leak and no other plumbers were available. We were without water and he took full advantage of our plight.

Old 09-16-13, 02:54 AM
You can fix this yourself, but we will really need pictures to help you out. Remember we can't see what you see.

Old 09-16-13, 03:44 AM
Threaten to take him to court. He did the job wrong and you will have problems on the first freeze day. Even though you don't have a receipt you have a good case.

As chandler said, you can fix this yourself. Plex fittings are snap on/snap off. Be sure to use the inserts that come with them.

Old 09-16-13, 05:38 AM
Temporarily Suspended
AR is Arkansas? I never liked geography anyway. If he won't correct the problem, file complaints with the local Department Of Consumer Affairs & maybe the Better Business Bureau. Ask them what other complaints have been filed.

Old 09-16-13, 07:00 AM
Just adding foam insulation will be all but useless.
It should have been installed up inside the insulated area or run under ground below the frost line.

Old 09-16-13, 08:39 AM
Pex on the ground uncovered

Guys I have pictures but I'm unable to get them uploaded. I'm not very computer savvy. Most of the pipe is completely on cold ground. I'm a woman of almost sixty with physical limitations so I can't do the repair. I just don't see how what he did was ethical or even proper. I'm going to have frozen pipes as soon as it reaches 32 or below. The owner of the plumbing company has agreed to "look in to it". But I don't know what would be acceptable to remedy this situation. By now I don't trust them...Thank you all for your comments.. If anyone can suggest what the proper correction to the pipes would be I would appreciate it. joecaption1 I thought your suggestion is what the plumber should have done. It may be a ugly confrontation if my problem is not rectified. Thank you all so much. I would like all the suggestions and comments anyone would like to contribute.

Old 09-16-13, 08:59 AM
Group Moderator
How to include pictures: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

Don't know if they still do but once upon a time in Arkansas they commonly used what I call a cut and drain valve, not sure of the real name. They are buried in the ground surrounded by gravel. A handle extension comes up into the house, sometimes the cabinet under the kitchen sink. When turned it cuts off the water and drains all of the line after it. It needs to be ahead of where the pipe first leaves the ground. Some plumbers installed them on both the cold and hot lines. Hot lines mean shutting down the water heater in case water is siphoned out so there was some debate on that.

Old 09-16-13, 12:33 PM
Now, I do what Ray suggests on mobile and modular homes that are vacated during the winter months. It makes winterization much easier for me to perform. The pipes are on the ground and exit to the atmosphere, but have no water in them unless I am draining the system. Please let us know about what the owner says regarding the potential problem. You can tell him you have talked to the 'pros from Dover" (to steal a line from MASH) on this and it doesn't sound right.

Old 09-16-13, 03:42 PM
Group Moderator
Just to be clear while Chandler and I were talking about the same sort of cut and drain system the procedure I was speaking of was to cut off and drain the water before going to bed on very cold nights.

Old 09-23-13, 10:22 AM
I have been researching PEX for only one day but I found that PEX when exposed to sun or daylight degrades. Significant damage is done in 30 days of exposure. Until you decide what to do throw something over it to block the sun. Call the plumber's bonding company and file a claim. Also Pex is not to be put within 18" of the water heater. Sorry, wish I knew more, but I never heard of PEX until Friday. Next time get a contract before work starts. My mistake too on work done Thrusday and friday. Guy doubled the quote when he got done. nothing on paper.

Old 09-23-13, 01:04 PM
i agree with everyone this is wrong, I have pex pipe and I will tell you your going to have problems if this isn't fixed.You need to get it up under the home with the insulation ideally with heat tape,best bet if possible with a good contractor run your water pipes inside your home along the walls and cover them with molding,just a thought. good luck

Old 09-23-13, 08:32 PM
Here is an update on pex pipes on the ground. My city water supervisor contacted the Arkansas plumbing inspector and he says it is against Arkansas plumbing code for these pipes to be on the ground. The city water inspector called the plumber and told him he had a week to correct the installation and the plumber is so arrogant he is still putting us off and refuses to deal with me. He will only talk to my husband and will not give us a firm date as to when he will redo this awful plumbing job. So frustrating. Also have not received an itemized receipt, just a general receipt with nothing specific. I don't know other than going to court how to make him comply. He is hostile to me since I bitterly complained. I hope my experience can keep this from happening to anyone else.

Old 09-24-13, 03:11 AM
I do hope, too, others will reap the benefit of your experience. Sad that you had to go through this. If in one week the job is not done, contact the inspector's office again. Believe me, they do not mess around. The plumber can have his license suspended by the inspector, and he doesn't want that. Going to court may be the only way to ultimately resolve the money issue, but the pipe issue should be done within the time constraints placed by the inspector.