Shut Off Residential Water Supply

Old 09-19-13, 08:06 AM
Shut Off Residential Water Supply

I hope I have the right forum here. I guess this is more a mystery than a problem.

When my wife an I are away for more than a day I shut off the water at the meter.
I don't turn off anything else ( for example the gas fired water heater) or open any
taps. When we return and I open the valve at the meter I can hear water moving through the pipes for 20 to 30 seconds.

The mystery to me is where is this water going ?? I suspect it has something to do with the water heater but I'm not sure.

I would appreciate it if someone could shed some light on this and also advise me if I should be doing anything else besides just shutting off the water supply.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-13, 09:48 AM
Group Moderator
First I would check your toilets to make sure they don't have a slow leak. You can put some food coloring in the tank and keep an eye on the bowl over the next hour and see if it develops any color.

Old 09-19-13, 10:02 AM
Any small leak or evaporation like toilet valve and water heater, or anything that periodically uses water like a water softener, ice maker, humidifier, boiler with auto fill valve, reverse osmosis water purifier, automatic sprinklers, auto-refilling dog dish...just to name a few to get you thinking.

Is it a slight hiss or major rush of water for 20-30 seconds?

Old 09-19-13, 02:31 PM
It seems more of a major rush , almost as if a tap were wide open, and probably closer to 20
seconds than 30. There are three toilets in the house, so I'll try Pilot Dane's suggestion
also. The only other items that periodically use water are the water heater and the water softener.

I thank you both for your advice.

Old 09-20-13, 05:38 AM
Group Moderator
I shut off the water to the interior of my house when we are away. Unless someone flushed a toilet after I've shut off the water almost no water flows when I turn the water back on, even after several weeks. There is extremely little water that evaporates from the covered toilet tanks and the hot water system is sealed (no water running) so there is no evaporation there. So, if water runs when you turn your water back on there is a leak somewhere.