Help with running plumbing lines to Shower Panel

Old 09-20-13, 01:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with running plumbing lines to Shower Panel

I am a novice and was hoping for some guidance with a shower panel plumbing situation. I will try to describe this as best I can.
I had to replace an older shower panel that was leaking badly and purchased a nice Hansgrohe model to replace it.
When I removed the old shower panel I found the porcelain tile had a square cut it in where the plumbing lines attached to the old shower panel. The plumbing is polybutylene with what looks like sharkbite type adapter with a male 1/2 inch connector. This then was connected to the old panel with two flexible braided steel faucet looking 1/2 hose lines.
The new shower panel needs the 1/2 plumbing lines to go about 8 inches higher to what Hangrohe says is a required elbow (1/2 female, 1/2 male) that in turn connects to the shower panel via two lines coming out (1/2 female) that come out of the panel (look like flexible steel lines)

My question is what would be the best way to extend the lines 8 inches higher from a male 1/2 connector on polybutylene to the Hansgrohe female 1/2 brass elbows?
I have to run these lines behind porcelain tile so I need something flexible.
I thought about just putting a 1/2 inch male union in the hangrohe elbow and getting longer flexible braided hose and just run it down to the male adapter on the polybutylene but it seems like those types of hoses are not supposed to be used for that so I hope someone can give me some guidance.

Any help is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-13, 03:52 AM
Received 64 Votes on 59 Posts
I had a bit of trouble following your description.

However, one thing I noticed is the use of flexible braided connectors behind a wall! That is a no no. They can and will eventually fail. The Plex type piping with shark-bites is OK, but when it comes to hidden piping I would recommend hard copper with solder joints. That may require taking the tile down. But think of how this is used and the damage that can be caused not if but when failure occurs.