Leak near a quarter-turn valve (undersink plumbing)


Old 09-23-13, 08:02 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: team
Posts: 40
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leak near a quarter-turn valve (undersink plumbing)


This is a pipe in an old house, underneath a sink. Where the inlet pipe meets the quarter-turn angle valve there has been a small leak

Name:  angle-valve.jpg
Views: 9089
Size:  20.5 KB

I suspect this valve can be as original as the house (1970s?); the joint between pipe and quarter-turn valve is leaking slowly. I tried to unscrew the valve body but the screw would not budge. But the leak became worse (water drips more frequently). Any suggestion how to go about? How do I loose the tight screw? I bought one hardware that looks like this one in Lowe's:

Plumb Craft 1/4-Turn Angled Valve - 5/8 OD x 3/8 OD - Mills Fleet Farm

Will this work?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-13, 08:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 4,297
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Going to have to shut off the main water supply.
Open the faucet to relieve the pressure.
Going to need a pipe wrench on the pipe and a wrench on the back side of the valve.
It's going to unscrew counter clockwise facing the valve.
The threads get cleaned up and wrapped with Teflon tape and install the new valve.
Old 09-23-13, 09:00 AM
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 614
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It looks like a compression valve but it also looks like that pipe is threaded but it's hard to see from that angle. If it's a compression fitting on a threaded 3/8" pipe, that's your problem.
Old 09-23-13, 06:14 PM
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Southeastern Pennsylvania
Posts: 3,058
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
wiriwan -

I'm no plumber, just a newbie, but seems to me there might be some misunderstanding about your valve. I don't know what you mean by

...but the screw would not budge.... How do I loose the tight screw?
If it's compression valve a nut attaches the copper pipe to the valve and that would be a nut at the joint you refer to in your picture. But as toolmon said maybe someone tried to use a compression valve on a pipe with a threaded end.

Anyway, I think these are two good videos that will show you how this stuff goes together:

How to replace -repair leaking shut off compression valve - Toilet, vanity water line installation - YouTube


But this is only valid if yours is a compression valve (hard to tell from the picture - if it's just threaded then you spin the valve off with wrenches as joe said. The valve you bought by the way is a compression valve.)
Old 10-21-13, 06:56 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: team
Posts: 40
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I had a plumber fix this thing. So expensive! FYI the valve is a threaded one, not compression fitting. The plumber simply used two wrenches, one in each hand: one holding the pipe to the wall tightly so it won't move, the other on the valve. He got it out in no time. I guess, inexperience is my problem.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: