Leak near a quarter-turn valve (undersink plumbing)

Old 09-23-13, 08:02 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leak near a quarter-turn valve (undersink plumbing)

Hi,

This is a pipe in an old house, underneath a sink. Where the inlet pipe meets the quarter-turn angle valve there has been a small leak

Name:  angle-valve.jpg
Views: 9089
Size:  20.5 KB

I suspect this valve can be as original as the house (1970s?); the joint between pipe and quarter-turn valve is leaking slowly. I tried to unscrew the valve body but the screw would not budge. But the leak became worse (water drips more frequently). Any suggestion how to go about? How do I loose the tight screw? I bought one hardware that looks like this one in Lowe's:

Plumb Craft 1/4-Turn Angled Valve - 5/8 OD x 3/8 OD - Mills Fleet Farm

Will this work?

Wirawan

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-13, 08:39 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Going to have to shut off the main water supply.
Open the faucet to relieve the pressure.
Going to need a pipe wrench on the pipe and a wrench on the back side of the valve.
It's going to unscrew counter clockwise facing the valve.
The threads get cleaned up and wrapped with Teflon tape and install the new valve.

Old 09-23-13, 09:00 AM
T
It looks like a compression valve but it also looks like that pipe is threaded but it's hard to see from that angle. If it's a compression fitting on a threaded 3/8" pipe, that's your problem.

Old 09-23-13, 06:14 PM
Z
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
wiriwan -

I'm no plumber, just a newbie, but seems to me there might be some misunderstanding about your valve. I don't know what you mean by

...but the screw would not budge.... How do I loose the tight screw?
If it's compression valve a nut attaches the copper pipe to the valve and that would be a nut at the joint you refer to in your picture. But as toolmon said maybe someone tried to use a compression valve on a pipe with a threaded end.

Anyway, I think these are two good videos that will show you how this stuff goes together:

How to replace -repair leaking shut off compression valve - Toilet, vanity water line installation - YouTube

FIX LEAKING COMPRESSION PIPE FITTING - Plumbing Tips - YouTube

But this is only valid if yours is a compression valve (hard to tell from the picture - if it's just threaded then you spin the valve off with wrenches as joe said. The valve you bought by the way is a compression valve.)

Old 10-21-13, 06:56 AM
W
I had a plumber fix this thing. So expensive! FYI the valve is a threaded one, not compression fitting. The plumber simply used two wrenches, one in each hand: one holding the pipe to the wall tightly so it won't move, the other on the valve. He got it out in no time. I guess, inexperience is my problem.

Wirawan