Removing and changing gas pipe.

Old 09-23-13, 09:48 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing and changing gas pipe.

Hello all.

I am in the process of renovating and doing as much as i can by myself and getting it done correctly.

The house now currently has gas lines run for 2 stoves (one in the basement one upstairs), the furnace, hot water heater, a gas fireplace, a line leading outside which looks like it was for a grill at one time, and two other valves which are just capped and lead to nothing.

I would like to remove everything but the hook up for the upstairs stove the water heater and the furnace. All of which are right near each other furnace about 3 feet from water heater and line going to the stove directly above the water heater going upstairs.

The line comes in and immediately splits one line going to the furnace about 30 feet away. The other line going to all of the other hook ups mentioned above splitting many times. Can i tap in to the existing furnace line and run it to the water heater and stove and still have it up to code?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-13, 12:43 AM
Received 16 Votes on 14 Posts
Probably not. Gas piping MUST be properly sized according to the BTUs/hour requirements of the connected appliances AND the total length of the piping from the meter. Perhaps with an accounting of all the BTU requirements of the appliances AND the total length of piping we could come up with a simpler plan. More pictures would help.

However, unless you have a fair amount of experience in cutting, threading and fitting up threaded steel pipe this is NOT a job to learn on. Water leaks merely make a mess, gas leaks go BOOM!

Old 09-24-13, 07:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You make a fine point. I am just tight on cash. But id rather be safe. The only thing i have done with gas lines is install a water heater. To be honest i was just a bit worried about all of the valves that are old and unused.

We have many water ones in the house that leak just because of the age.

Old 09-24-13, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
What type of valves? Old grease valves? Why not change to new style, or remove and cap the unused lines????