Bathroom in porch

Old 09-25-13, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom in porch

I only have one 2nd floor bathroom in my 1910 Minneapolis home. I'm looking to convert a small 3 season porch off the kitchen into a powder room.

Is it possible to do the plumbing without modifying the foundation? The porch is on piers. See photo.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-13, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Hello...

I dont think its so much the plumbing but the stryucture itself. You should talk to your local municiplaitys code enforcement and run it past them.

I do not knoe the building codes on that , that infact its part of the deck, no?

I will alert one of the carpenters and link this post. Wait for his reply.

As far as plumbing you will either need to tap into the main whether it be in the home, or outside. And of course you will need to run a vent for the 1/2 bath. Additionally freezing issues will need to be addressed.

Old 09-25-13, 07:48 AM
The porch is freestanding from the deck.

Old 09-25-13, 08:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
OK, wrench in gears time. What will you do for a front entrance? I doubt the Authorities will allow you to eliminate it, since it is a primary ingress/egress means. If it is free standing from the deck,on a foundation, you can probably make the framing work. Do you have access to below in order to run the plumbing? Is there any present heat/cool venting in the room? You'll need to address that. You say "powder" room. I'm from the South so all we have are outhouses, half baths and bathrooms, so will it have toilet, sink and shower/tub included?

I know you have researched it, but is there absolutely NO other alternative? That is such a beautiful house and entrance, I'd hate to modify it.

Old 09-25-13, 08:16 AM
This is the back of the house. (added a few more pictures) I would move the door between the 2 stain-glass windows to the left.

I have access below. The porch is outside the footprint of the main main foundation. It would be a 1/4 bath; toilet and sink.

My main concern is the foundation. Will I need to tear down the porch to modify the main house foundation to include the porch?

Thanks again.

Attached Images  
Old 09-25-13, 08:44 AM
Short answer on the foundation, it needs full support, so yes, something has to give, whether it be an access from the under-house portion or access from under the porch. I don't think tearing the porch off would be required since it sits at rim joist level.

You MUST post a picture of the front of the house, if this is the back!! What a stately place. If you can move the door, then all you have to do is draw up some plans for your AHJ and get busy. Nice.

We're here if you need help with things. We don't sleep.

Old 09-25-13, 08:51 AM
Thanks. I just bought this house a year ago. A real gem. The last owner was a carpenter and had it for 30 years.

Attached Images   
Old 09-25-13, 08:55 AM
Holey moley!! OK, I caught my breath. Not a gem, but pure platinum!! Keep us up on this, please.

Old 09-25-13, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Ummm... The proposed door is going in the dining room between those windows????

Its your house but I dont like it...If its really what you need to do then do what you must......

Is that front a open porch too? Possibly you have other options inside that may be better... Lose a closet and some small part of a room. A powder room needs only 3x5 I think.