dripping facuet


Old 09-25-13, 01:23 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3
Smile dripping facuet

I am trying to change the Moen cartridge which seems straightforward, in my shower .( I have a photo if it can be uploaded )but there is some sort of plastic cover which is preventing me from getting at the horseshoe pin. What do I do with this? Is it supposed to still be in there ?
Thanks Brenda
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-13, 04:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 4,297
You do know if you contact Moen they will send you the parts for free, right?
Installation Help / Animated Tutorials for Moen Faucet
Old 09-26-13, 04:54 AM
Norm201's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 6,900
Likes Received: 23
Just a note. Almost all faucet manufacturers have lifetime warranty. This includes the low end Aqualife to high end Moen, Delta, and others. This started between 1995 and 1997 when manufacturing methods changed and they all went to a cartridge style. Many times they might ask for a model number but if you don't know, a description will usually be sufficient since only one or two cartridges are common to all faucets within a brand. Also DANCO is a third party manufacture that will make replacements for most brands. The only down side to taking advantage of the lifetime warranty is that you must wait for the parts or replacement voucher as opposed to buying it immediately.
Old 09-26-13, 09:12 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3
Yes I have the parts from them. I just cant reach the horseshoe pin to take out original cartridge through the Plaster guard and was wondering if there is a trick or if I have to remove it and if so how?
Old 09-26-13, 10:22 AM
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of Washington state.
Posts: 18,443
Likes Received: 8
Is this in a bath or shower with a plastic surround? Some (lazy) plumbers/builders use the plaster ring as a back-up and sandwich the valve between the plaster ring and the faceplate to hold it tight against the plastic surround. The proper way is to fasten the valve in the wall but...

You will likely need to do some cutting in order to get enough space to get the horseshoe clip out. You will also need long-nose pliers and an stiff wire to get the clip in and out of the proper position.
Old 09-26-13, 03:10 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 3

Thanks , Yes its a Shower surround . Thats what I need long nosed pliers! And to cut abit of the plastic . I knew I would drop the clip into the dark abyss to never be seen again! Thanks again !!
Old 09-26-13, 03:39 PM
lawrosa's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Galivants Ferry SC USA
Posts: 17,724
Likes Received: 2
They left the plaster guard on?

Looks like this black thing on the right but commonly round...It fits over the faucet but is supposed to be removed after rough in.


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes