Would appreciate help identifying these 2 things

Old 09-26-13, 03:59 AM
Would appreciate help identifying these 2 things

I am referring to the two covered pipes sticking out of the floor in the left and right side of the following photo, not the pipe lying on its side at the top.

What are they, exactly?

And if we were to put a furnace or hot water heater in this room, would either be for those?

P1000255.JPG - Imgur

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-13, 04:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What's it say on that blue cover?
That looks like an underground oil tank fill hole and vent to me.

Old 09-26-13, 05:14 AM
Group Moderator
Have you removed the green cover to see inside? What are the pipes diameters? They appear to be rough in connections for something or access to something in/under the slab.

Old 09-26-13, 05:44 AM
Originally Posted by joecaption1
What's it say on that blue cover?
That looks like an underground oil tank fill hole and vent to me.
Unfortunately, this is the only picture I've got. We're building this place (a residential home, so I don't think it's an oil fill tank and vent) from about 2 states away, so getting other pictures will be tremendously difficult.

Old 09-26-13, 05:47 AM
Originally Posted by Pilot Dane
Have you removed the green cover to see inside? What are the pipes diameters? They appear to be rough in connections for something or access to something in/under the slab.
I haven't removed the green cover, no. And as I mentioned to joecaption1, we're building this place from long-distance. Can't really give you the dimensions of the pipes very easily. All I have is this picture.

I seem to remember the GC that we have overseeing the project mentioning "access" to something (I have no idea what) and my wife seems to think he said "cleanout," but I thought cleanout drains had those big square knobs on them?

Thanks for the responses!

Old 09-26-13, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator
and my wife seems to think he said "cleanout," but I thought cleanout drains had those big square knobs on them?
Its impossible to tell and the general contractor should be able to tell you better.

Old 09-26-13, 06:22 AM
Originally Posted by lawrosa
ts impossible to tell and the general contractor should be able to tell you better.
Not a problem. Was just hoping for a quick answer since he will be unavailable today.

Thanks again.

Old 09-26-13, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator
If I were to guess I would say floor drain with the green cap, and pvc clean out left of it that needs to be cut and the clean out installed...

But thats a guess.

Old 09-26-13, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator
That may even be a vent on the left for a floor drain if it is... That pipe would get tied into the ceiling somewhere...

Maybe a provision for a toilet and sink ( powder room)...?????

Old 09-26-13, 06:40 AM
Super Moderator
I found a similar C/O cover.... Now whats the pipe on the left? I would say vent.....

Old 09-26-13, 02:31 PM
Spoke with our GC again today. He said the black one is for radon and the green one is a cleanout / backflow valve.

I'm not a plumber, so I have no idea what that all means, and I'm wondering a few things:
  1. What are they for, exactly?
  2. Will they stink (from the sewer) / give us cancer (from the radon)? Is there any other reason to avoid them?
  3. Could either of them be used as a drain for a furnace? (He was suggesting that if we do install one rather than use a Mini-Split, we just plumb it directly outside.)

Thanks again.

Old 09-26-13, 03:44 PM
Super Moderator
He said the black one is for radon
Oh my... I been out of new construction for a while. Dont know if this is mandatory. They must have found something to install that. It gets tied into a fan to exit the premises...

Backflow OK. If main sewer back up it will not come back in the home... A check valve really.

They need to be serviced once in a while....( the backflow)

Old 09-26-13, 05:29 PM
They must have found something to install that.
Should we be concerned about that? Now that we are re-visiting this, I seem to remember him saying that "radon occurs naturally in the ground," but he didn't say much more.

Backflow OK. If main sewer back up it will not come back in the home... A check valve really.
I have looked into cleanout / backflow a little bit, so I think I get what it is for.

They need to be serviced once in a while....( the backflow)
What needs to be done to service the backflow?

Thanks again for responding, but I think you only managed to answer the first of my 3 questions. The other 2 remain unanswered.

Old 09-26-13, 07:05 PM
Group Moderator
Normally, I don't think a radon system is just automatically installed unless the area is noted for high radon levels. So either your area is known for high radon levels or a test was done and they found high levels. The radon system is something that your GC should be able to fill you in on. I'm actually kind of surprised that you weren't aware of the need for the system.

The backflow preventer valve keeps sewage from coming back into your house. It's like a door. The sewage goes out the door but if it tries to come back in the door closes. With age and use the door can be partially blocked open by waste material. Normal servicing will keep it operating correctly.

You can not use that cleanout as a floor drain. It must remain sealed.

Servicing the check valve would require unbolting a cover and probably scraping or rinsing the inside of the valve out. There may be some odor only during the valve cleaning process.