Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

Bring it up to code while installing new kitchen and replacing tub with shower

Old 09-19-13, 09:17 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Our house was built in the 50's. We live in eastern Colorado about 8 miles from a small town. I am rewiring the upstairs, installing a kitchen upstairs, and swapping the old tub for a new shower. The old plumbing is copper. I plan on using either PVC or ABS for the new parts. My first question is should I use PVC or ABS? Attached are drawings of before and after for your opinions, suggestions, and corrections. The new kitchen is about 25 feet from the existing vent pipe. Can I use 1-1/2 inch for the kitchen run and dump it into the old tub/new shower pipe or should I use 2 inch and dump it into the vent stack?

Attached Images   
Old 09-27-13, 04:01 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
A few comments:

- The shower drain needs to be 2"
- You want the kitchen drain to go directly into your main, not into the shower drain, nor into the main stack as that will create a wet vent.
- You can use 1.5" for the kitchen drain. No need for 2"

Otherwise looks good to me. I'm sure others may have comments too. Good luck!

Old 09-27-13, 04:27 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Both ABS and PVC will work fine. Seems to be a location thing. I have not seen ABS sold in my area for a long time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: