Adding a dishwasher to the kitchen

Old 09-28-13, 09:27 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding a dishwasher to the kitchen

Sorry for the very basic question, and again if it was covered in the FAQ but I had a quick look and I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I'm planning to add a dishwasher above the washing machine but am unsure of the piping underneath. Most dishwashers as I understand it require a cold source of water, the only one being taken up by the washing machine. Again they require a waste tube, which the washing machine is also taking up.

Is it possible to have two appliances on one source and one drainage? If so what would I need to do to both to make it be able to take them both? Would I likely experience any problems having the two running at the same time like drainage backing up or not enough water going through.

Thanks in advance for helping this amateur! I have included two photos of the location and the under-sink plumbing.

http://oi44.************/v2v4uc.jpg

http://oi44.************/bgxohx.jpg

both uploaded by tiny pic dot com not sure why it's being censored out.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-13, 11:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 316 Posts
Welcome to the forums from the UK.

This board won't allow hotlinking to tinypics. I was unable to retrieve them from tinypics either. You can host them at another free site or post them here. Use the "go advanced" reply box and then scroll down to "manage attachments." When you click on manage attachments you'll see the upload dialogue in there.

The dishwasher gets connected to the hot water supply. Usually the water wants to be 140 degrees F. or above for a proper wash.

Without a pic.... I'm not sure about your drain situation.

Old 09-28-13, 02:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Typically (in the US at least), the dishwasher drains into the same place as the sink. It needs a trap, but usually piggybacks on the sink trap.

Dishwashers may be a bit different in the UK, might you have an online installation for the dishwasher than you're planning to install?