Mystery leak into the septic tank...nothing checks out!

Old 09-30-13, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mystery leak into the septic tank...nothing checks out!

hi everyone! I'm in the final stages of a long 3 story addition project and our plumber installed three new forced hot water baseboard heating zones, one for each floor. About a week later, we noticed that our 1,500 gallon septic tank was starting to bubble out onto the lawn. We quickly had it pumped and the the filter cleaned. He said the filter was clogged but he also said there was a slow leak into the tank from the house.

Now here's the weird part. I can't for the life of me find what is leaking! I checked all the toilets with dye, and they don't seem to be leaking. I also checked the sinks and they aren't dripping. Lastly i checked the washing machine and dishwasher and they seemed good too....so i'm completely at a loss. I'm hoping someone can give me a few other ideas on this...

Is there anything involved with installing three forced hot water baseboard zones that would cause water to slow leak into the septic? Anything else that could cause this?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-30-13, 10:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Any floor drains in the home? Sump pumps?

Old 10-01-13, 06:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Does the boiler have any drain to a floor drain or to the DWV system? Maybe for draining the lines? Possibly that's what's leaking?

Do you have a main cleanout in the house that you can open up and look into and see if any water is actually draining (after not using the toilets/sinks for a while)?

Old 10-01-13, 07:39 PM
thanks guys. Nope...no floor drains or drain pipes. I could potentially open the cleanout though...I'll give that a try to see what I can find.

Another option I was considering is maybe we have a partial backup in a pipe somewhere that is forming a partial dam so the water drains slowly over time instead of quickly. Think that is possible?

Thanks!

Old 10-01-13, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
He said the filter was clogged but he also said there was a slow leak into the tank from the house.

What makes him think this????

Old 10-02-13, 06:02 AM
Yes. I would think a slow leak into the septic would be easily taken care of by the large leak out into the weeping bed.