Washer Valves Not Closing Fully

Old 10-01-13, 08:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washer Valves Not Closing Fully

Just replaced our 10 year old washer and dryer units. During that time they worked as expected and were never given much thought.
While pulling out the old washer I noticed water would still flow out of the lines even when the valves were fully closed. No leaks, just not able to completely shut off the water. Do they need to be replaced, or is there some fix, a new washer or something?
Also, there's no indicator which is hot and which is cold. Is there a way to know by looking at the valves? I always thought the hot water line was on the left.
Thank you.

Name:  20131001_113320.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  20.2 KB

Name:  20131001_113330.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  25.5 KB

Last edited by Carbo; 10-01-13 at 09:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-13, 09:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 184 Votes on 171 Posts
Yes, the valves can be repaired. You need to shut off the water supply to the house and open a faucet to relieve the pressure. Then remove the screw in the center of the knob and pull off the knob. Then you have a bigger hex on the valve. Unscrew that while holding the valve body with another wrench (you don't want to damage the pipe in the wall). Unscrewing that big hex will allow the guts of the valve to come out and you should see a washer on the end. It will look something like this:

And just so you know. The smaller hex squeezes a packing material around the valve's shaft. If your faucet leaks around the shaft or base of the knob then tightening the smaller hex usually takes care of it.

Old 10-01-13, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you. That helps and should be easy, even for a klutz like myself.