Replace PRV at Meter

Old 10-07-13, 11:38 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replace PRV at Meter

I need to replace my PRV that is in ground at the meter.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-13, 12:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 203 Posts
Welcome to the forums Jon!

You'll need to explain what you need a little better. Normally the PRV is at the house, is yours in the meter box? some place else? Why does it need replacing? Normally you just shut off the water at the meter and then replace the PRV.

Old 10-07-13, 01:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Check with your municipality first. Our local city water department maintains the PRV's and changes them out if necessary at no charge, so it may be worth it. Marksr, we had a heck of a time locating a PRV at a customer's house once. It turned out to be just outside the house in a covered pit. I called the city to see if they knew where it could be located. They told me they didn't, but if I found it to remove it as they controlled the pressure from the meter pit PRV. That make my day once we found the PRV which looked like someone crammed Red Man Golden blend inside it

Old 10-19-13, 10:44 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The PRV is in-ground at the house side of the water meter. I am responsible for the PRV.

I became concerned about the pressure because my dish washer will not fill with water when I run it. The city tested my system. At the meter it's 100psi with 48gpm. At the house it's 65psi with 4gpm.

What I would like is a step by step procedure to replace the PRV. A few things I'd like to know are:

-after shutting off the water at the meter, do I also need to shut off the water where it comes into the house?

-after moving the old PRV, will water from my home rush out of the piping where the old PRV was?

-will teflon tape be good enough seal the connection of the new PRV? Or do I need pipe dope?

Thanks to everyone.

Jon