Up sizing copper pipe mid stream?

Old 10-08-13, 08:08 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Up sizing copper pipe mid stream?

Hello all,

Is it okay to upsize main cold water lines from 3/4" to 1" for a 10' section prior to downsizing and branching? (full explanation below)

I am installing a water softener. My main water supply is a 1" pipe. The water softener and charcoal filter both have 1" inlets. For cost reasons I'm planning on running 3/4" pipe to/from the water softener.

The 1" pipe currently runs along on its merry way above some ducts before it begins splitting off 3/4" and 1/2" lines for my bathroom.

As i plan to install it. The pipe will step up to 1" prior to branching off to the various bathroom fixtures. Will I have any problems from this such as pressure drop?

The cost of parts for 1" is significantly more expensive. What's the right call here.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-13, 10:47 AM
Z
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
No plumber here, just a newbie. The knowledgeable folks will need to help you. But it sounds like you are reducing your 1to 3/4 farther upstream than the current 1-3/4 reduction point , in order to go through your filters at 3/4. So you will reduce 1-3/4, then after the filters change back 3/4-1, then finally after 10' reduce 1-3/4 again.

I would just check the specs for those filters to make sure you will be OK reducing to 3/4 to go through them. Im just wondering, if they have 1 inlets maybe it would not be a good idea to reduce. I dont have a softener (I have an AN filter though) but I thought some of these units have required flow rates for backwashing or other flow requirements. Could be all wrong, maybe either one, 3/4" or 1" through them is just fine. Just a thought!