Bathroom sink - Low Cold Pressure

Old 10-08-13, 09:25 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom sink - Low Cold Pressure

Complete Newbie Here:

Symptom: Low pressure on two handled bathroom sink. Kohler.

-Removed and cleaned Aerator. Hot water was significantly better after that. No difference with cold.

-Disconnected hose that runs from cold water shut off to underside of faucet. Pressure very good!

-Read that a good next step is to remove faucet handle and attempt to purge the line. (1) Is this true? (2) If so, I am stumped at how to remove the handle. After prying off the cosmetic cap, there is a threaded hole. I can't see or feel anything at the bottom of this tiny, long threaded hole. I have no idea how to loosen/remove the handle, and I sure don't want to strip anything.

Photos attached.

Any advice much appreciated!

Gavin

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-13, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
Read that a good next step is to remove faucet handle and attempt to purge the line. (1) Is this true?
Yes that is true...

If so, I am stumped at how to remove the handle. After prying off the cosmetic cap, there is a threaded hole. I can't see or feel anything at the bottom of this tiny, long threaded hole. I have no idea how to loosen/remove the handle, and I sure don't want to strip anything.
There should have been a screw. If handle does not pull off you mau need a handle puller. You can try to gently pry from behind...

Has this always been this way with the low pressure?

What types of pipes do you have? If steel pipe/galvanized that may be your issue. They clog up over time....

Old 10-08-13, 09:51 AM
G
update

Quick Update:

Found allen screw on side of handle and am now looking at this:

Also, while the sink is labeled Kohler I have determined (with the help of a Kohler rep) that it is a Newport Brass faucet.

Attached Images  
Old 10-08-13, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator
You need to turn off water and remove that nut. That will remove the stem... Then you can try to flush....

Old 10-08-13, 09:54 AM
G
Thanks for your response!

Now that the handle is off, what's next to purge the line?

I am a new homeowner (a few weeks). The home was built 8 years ago. Not sure what kind of pipes...

Old 10-08-13, 10:06 AM
G
Blow by blow

I apologize for the piecemeal, incremental questions. I just don't want to make a mistake.

So I'm now at this point. If I attempt to turn counter-clockwise what looks like a silver/stainless nut above the silver/stainless washer appearing thing (which itself is above the threaded brass) I get a lot of resistance.

How do I get the stem out?

Old 10-08-13, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
unscrew the stem a little before you try turn. And make sure water is off...

Old 10-09-13, 05:23 AM
G
Thanks for your help yesterday. I successfully removed the stem without stripping anything. It was on VERY tight and I just had to hope I was doing the right thing, and gradually added torque.

The water flow without the stem is very strong. I didn't notice any obvious debris come out. I'm now looking at a cartridge/valve that I bet needs to be replaced. Is there anything I can do to clean it before putting it back in to test if the purge had any effect?

Thanks again, this website is fantastic.

G

Old 10-09-13, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator
Its an actual stem and washer right? No cartridge?

If you flushed the line there is nothing left to do. Take a pic of your piped in the basement or crawl. Or piping near water heater. If not galv/steel then the issue is somewhere else.

A partially closed valve at the meter maybe???? The valve under the sink may have a loose washer???

Old 10-09-13, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator
Is it a flex line? Remove it and clean the mating surface on faucet side and rubber seal on supply.

Sometimes the rubber wears out and need to replace...

Old 10-09-13, 07:17 AM
G
Aargh!

I flushed the line, put the cartridge back in, and voila! Much Better Pressure. But...

Now there is a leak from what appears to be the line running from the hot valve to the stem. I'm probably wrong about the source because it doesn't make sense, plus I tightened it.

It's such a tight space and I'm trying to tighten everything up. It does not appear to be coming from the line I originally disconnected from the shut off valve to test the pressure.

What is going on!?

I'm beginning to see why people fork out the $ to plumbers...

Old 10-09-13, 07:31 AM
G
OK. Thank you. I'll try that.

However, isn't it more likely it's something with how I put the cartridge back in? If not seated properly could that cause a leak underneath? Even though the leak appears to be coming from where the hoses connect I have a hunch that's not the cause. Why would a hose start to leak when it wasn't before?

Old 10-09-13, 07:53 AM
G
OK. Checked the seating of the lines and tightened everything up.

When I was torquing the cartridge to remove it, hoses got spun and pinched underneath. One idea I have is that I damaged one of them in the process.

But the mystery continues. After working on the lines, I now can stop the leak by turning the faucet off. I am certain that this was not the case 30 minutes ago.

So now I'm back to the more obvious idea that the cartridge is not seated properly. The washer/seal appears flush, with no visible damage. I also know that (at least under low pressure) it did not leak before. Should I use grease or plumbing tape on the threads when putting it back in?