Exposed pipe questions (1920 house)

Old 10-09-13, 10:49 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exposed pipe questions (1920 house)

Couple of questions:

1) What was the original purpose of the exterior plug (marked with red arrow in attached pictures)? It's part of the drain, you can see the section (green arrow) running upwards to the kitchen sink, but why is it capped off outside?

2) I'm assuming the other pipe is part of the old oil heating system? Ground level outside is at the bottom of the window, so it's feeding in from underground outside. It's capped off at the top. It's annoying as I wanted to attach some wood to the wall at that location to hang mops/brooms from. I have the certificate showing that the old external oil tank was abandoned (filled with the appropriate material) and in theory that whole vertical section of pipe and the T fitting could be removed and capped off at the blue arrow but I'm a little concerned as to what's going to start pouring out if I attempt this. Even better would be to abandon it inside the wall and concrete over.

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-13, 11:04 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Looks like sewer drain cleanouts to me.

Old 10-09-13, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
The first one is a clean out for the sewer. If you ever have a main line clog the plumber can snake from there. Its better that dirty sewer equiptment does not need to be brought into the home. Or a toilet pulled..

The oil tank line...well I would remove the plug and put a bucket under there and see what comes out. probably nothing. I would cut the pipe flush then and cement...

Old 10-09-13, 11:21 AM
D
Ah, interesting. What's curious is that the actual sewer is on the opposite side of the house. It's probably 40' from this point whereas only 4' from the opposite wall.

As far as the oil is concerned, I wonder if it might be best to have a cap on hand and first unthread the lower part and see what comes out? That said, if tons of crap starts pouring out, it's probably going to be hard to put a cap on.

It's safe to just fill with concrete or is there something better to fill it with?

Old 10-09-13, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
it's safe to just fill with concrete or is there something better to fill it with?
You can fill it with money and not tell anyone....

Really I think all the oil is out of there. I though they use a material that absorbs it and turns to gel or something.....

Old 10-09-13, 11:39 AM
D
Yeah I'm pretty sure that everything in the tank is neutralized, I just wasn't sure about the line. The tank is in the garden, probably 30' from the point in the picture. I'll call some of the companies who do the tank abandoning and see if I'm worrying about nothing. Thanks!

Got you on the money, maybe I'll russle up a few Benjamins to stick in there as a time-capsule

Old 10-09-13, 04:52 PM
D
So I called the guys who originally decommissioned the oil tank and they said that any old oil line would be 3/8" copper and based on my description/past experience they were 99% sure it's an old gas line, they thought probably used for lighting (since in 2000 the oil heating was decommisioned in favor of natural gas).

Hmmn. I thought by 1925 (when the house was constructed) it would have been electric lighting. The attic is full of knob/tube and it's running behind all the lathe/plaster walls as I've been slowly abandoning it ... I guess its possible the walls were ripped out and K&T was retrofitted later.

It's 1-1/2" outside diameter, seems too wide for an old water supply line.

I'm guessing this (pictured below) is the oil line, it comes through the East (back yard facing) wall which would make sense as I thought the oil tank was buried under the back yard though I'm not sure why I think that, the decomissioning certificate shows a box for the house with an 'X' near the upper left corner but there is no orientation for the street so no way to tell. The galvy pipes I originally asked about come through the South (driveway facing) wall. Front of house faces West.

Attached Images  
Old 10-11-13, 06:11 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 91 Votes on 85 Posts
The pair of copper lines are definitely the old oil tank lines.

The steel vertical pipe I would say is either gas or an old drain. Some older houses drained gray water into a dry well if it was on the far side of the house from the main sewer/septic.

Old 10-11-13, 09:10 AM
D
The pair of copper lines are definitely the old oil tank lines.

The steel vertical pipe I would say is either gas or an old drain.
I'd like to abandon those oil lines also inside the wall. I need to talk with the guys who did the tank abandoning to see if it's possible and what is the best method. Gas company is coming today to look at that other pipe. Hopefully I can get that hidden inside the wall also.