Clogged kitchen sink - trap pipe wont come off

Old 10-10-13, 01:03 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Clogged kitchen sink - trap pipe wont come off

I'm renting an apartment month to month and the kitchen sink was draining slowly up until recently when it stopped draining completely. I've tried plunging and I've tried drain-o (which I later found out was a big no-no). I thought I could just fix it myself quickly by removing the trap myself when I realized only one piece came off easily. I've never done this before, so maybe I'm missing something? The piece that came off had a nut that I could unscrew with gloves on, but I imagine the other side should do the same? Is there any way I could remove this myself? Or should I just ask my landlord to hire a plumber? Thanks!

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-13, 01:07 PM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
Probably best to have landlord fix. That trap is glued and needs to be cut. Best to replace with regular P trap. Line probably needs to be snaked too.....

Old 10-10-13, 01:37 PM
Best, Cheapest Gizmo for cleaning out clogged drains

Years ago while in a local hardware store, I found a $4 item that will clean out any drain in a minute or two.

I don't have a picture to post at the moment, so I'll describe it to you.
It is a single piece of thin plastic about 20-24" long and is thin. It's about 1/4"-3/8" wide and only about 1/8" thick. This allows for its flexibility. When facing its width, both sides of this plastic "stick" have barbs, facing upward along the length of it that are part of its mold. It is designed to be fed down the drain from the sink. It has a loop molded into the upper end that serves as a handle so that you can push and pull on it. When you push it down the drain, it moves relatively smoothly. When you, then, pull it up, the barbs grab hair, and gook and bring it up into the sink.

Try to find a small, mom-and-pop type hardware store. I think True-Value might have them The "big-box" stores like HD and Lowes don't carry it...it's far too effective...they want you to waist your money on more expensive remedies.

It works great and you'll be so proud that you have found this little gem and can free a clogged drain on your own for such a minor expense.

Keep some throw-away towels handy to wipe the crap off the barbed tool and dip it in there again. Don't run the water until it feels like you have freed it or until you have hooked most of the junk and pulled it out. Then run hot water down it for a minute or two.

I hope you read this before you spend unnecessarily. Then, send me 5$ for the info....just kidding

Since you have disconnected the drain from the sink (judging the picture), you can use this tool from the break-point feeding it toward the trap. Just move it in and out, toward the trap. Set a short bucket under your insert-point. Reconnect the drain and run the hot water...

Last edited by papernpaste; 10-10-13 at 01:45 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-10-13, 04:07 PM
Received 189 Votes on 171 Posts
What papernpaste is refering to is a very common item. Most places sell it. I haven't looked but I'd be surprised if the big box stores don't. We have those things hanging from strips at the plumbing dept at the store I work at.

On another note I don't understand how a trap can be allowed that is glued. I mean the whole point of a trap with slip nuts is to clean it. I did notice that your traps looks like it has a bottom plug that should allow it to be unscrewed and a snake can be used to clear it.

Old 10-10-13, 04:20 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If I was to fix this I would cut off the pipe going toward the wall, clean up the pipe, install what's called a drain adaptor.
1-1/2 drain adptor - Bing Images
Then install a new trap. Looks like someone installed that drain line in the wall to low so you also would need an 1-1/2 extension.
DBHL 1-1/2 in. x 12 in. PVC Tailpiece Extension-HP9793A at The Home Depot

Old 10-10-13, 06:31 PM
Z
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
Norm201-

...I did notice that your traps looks like it has a bottom plug that should allow it to be unscrewed and a snake can be used to clear it.
That's the way it looks to me also - but Mike's an expert and he didn't point that out. But maybe Mike is slipping? lol (just kidding Mike and guys,lol)

Yea - and what's up with this gluing business?

Old 10-10-13, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
That's the way it looks to me also - but Mike's an expert and he didn't point that out. But maybe Mike is slipping? lol (just kidding Mike and guys,lol)
I saw it...LOL.. If you try to snake up there you will bugger the threads and never get the plug back in.

That plug was never meant for snaking IMO. It is usually to drain the traps for winterizing homes I believe from way back when from my belief....( Before antifreeze)

Old 10-10-13, 07:10 PM
Z
Received 12 Votes on 12 Posts
I saw it...LOL.. If you try to snake up there you will bugger the threads and never get the plug back in.

That plug was never meant for snaking IMO. It is usually to drain the traps for winterizing homes I believe from way back when from my belief....( Before antifreeze)
Makes good sense. Learn something new here all the time.

Old 10-11-13, 06:18 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 84 Posts
I always thought that little plug was for retrieving lost jewelry and such after dropping it down the sink. But who knows *shrugs*