Corroded slip nut in wall - damaged iron pipe threads

Old 10-11-13, 07:23 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Corroded slip nut in wall - damaged iron pipe threads

Thanks for all your suggestions on my original post, which made it to a Hot Topic column!

After, working (many hours, off and on over days) to get the old drain tube apart from the inside pipe wall back far enough to put in the new drain assembly, I can't get a tight seal on the old iron pipe. It looks like the issue is that a portion of the end of the pipe is damaged and the threads and pipe wall there are thin. There is a picture below. Note the area between 3 and 4 o'clock.

I am pretty close to calling a plumber. Any ideas? Thanks for all your help.

Name:  IMAG0732.jpg
Views: 824
Size:  22.3 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-13, 08:44 AM
T
From this angle it looks like the mortar is very close the the end of the pipe, maybe not but are you sure the nut has room to bottom down? I have used silicone on the mating pieces in situations like this. You would have to clean all the oil off the pipe with paint thinner or some other solvent first. I have also used "The Right Stuff" which is an elastomeric automotive gasket maker on some valve seats with damaged threads that no thread sealer would work on, it's a great product. I would try to get the rest of that tube out if possible.

Old 10-11-13, 09:24 AM
S
It looks closer than it is. Having said that, I have knocked a bit more out at the bottom. I may check again. Thanks for the other suggestions.

Old 10-11-13, 11:28 AM
S
Forgot to mention that I have done pretty much all I can with the original tube. It is back far enough so that it doesn't interfere with the new tube. The iron pipe bends to the left and it appears that the original tube was too long and was bent or crimped at the end to fit, rather than shortened.

Old 10-11-13, 02:51 PM
W
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Hi, I had the same prolbem. My son in law put a pipe wrench on the pipe nipple and messed the threads up. I knew the nipple would not unscrew from the cast iron. I went to Home Depot and bought a hubless connector and connected the PVC to the pipe nipple. It has been 10 years and hasn't leaked yet. You may have to chip out some of that mortar to make it fit.
Good Luck Woodbutcher

Old 10-12-13, 04:40 AM
S
My long, plumbing nightmare is over! As per Toolmon's suggestion, I used some silicone inside the slip nut and a little on the rim of the pipe, after cleaning both with acetone. I let it dry completely over night and there were no leaks this morning! Thanks Toolmon and everyone on the site.