Winterize Hose Bid, water coming out from the bleed orifice

Old 10-11-13, 05:07 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Winterize Hose Bid, water coming out from the bleed orifice

Hi,
I was trying to drain my garden hose bibs in preparation for winter. These are the steps on the instruction:
1. Turn off inside valve
2. Disconnect garden hose
3. Open outdoor hose bib
4. Drain vacuum breaker
5. Open the bleed orifice inside, which is a small screw near the water valve.

I did this last fall but this time, at the last step, a steady stream of water came out of the bleed orifice and I had to close it. I did the same steps with my other hose bib and it was fine.

What might be the problem with the first one?

Thank you for any input!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-13, 07:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 853 Posts
On a water shutoff valve for an outside hose bib.... there should be an arrow on the valve pointing towards outside. Installing it correctly puts the drain port on the outside faucet side of the valve.

If it was installed backwards... then the drain port would be on the supply side of the valve and the water would never stop coming out and it would be under high pressure.

If you have a long piece of pipe from the valve to your faucet.... it could take a short while to drain.

Old 10-12-13, 08:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 526 Votes on 483 Posts
I'm not trying to be a bung hole but I'm wondering if you just forgot a step in your winterizing process. If you did it properly on the others did you go back and try it again on the problem one? Forgetting to open the hose bib or leaving the shutoff open could cause water to stream out of the bleeder valve. It's also possible the inside shutoff valve is leaking or not closed all the way but if the outside silcok valve is opened all the way the water should drain out of it instead of streaming out the bleeder.

Old 10-14-13, 11:48 AM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water stopped

Thank you for your help! I got about a cup of water from the orifice and it stopped after that. What made the difference was that I had to close the vacuum breaker by the hose bib tightly after draining. If that becomes loose, water will come out of the bleed orifice.

Thank you!

Old 10-14-13, 04:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 913 Votes on 853 Posts
No......you want all the water to drain out thru the bleeder. The bleeder should remain open as well as the bib.