Low flow shower head recommendation

Old 10-11-13, 07:04 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Low flow shower head recommendation

Can anyone recommend a good performing, low cost, low flow shower head? Hopefully one that can be bought at Home Depot or Menards. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-13, 08:34 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 530 Votes on 487 Posts
Describe good performing. What features are you looking for? Most low flow heads will have a low flow rate so about all you're left with is picking a spray pattern and the cosmetic appearance of the head.

Old 10-12-13, 11:20 AM
J
I mean one that won't take forever to rinse off, and has "enough" water flow. If it saves water, but takes double the time to rinse off, it's worthless.

Old 10-12-13, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Until you move up to more expensive shower heads, they are pretty much all alike, IMO. I bought this one Eco Spa 6-Setting Chrome Shower Head: Plumbing & Fixtures : Walmart.com as a quickie replacement when our older Delta split and it has a nice wide area and needle type jets. The on/off switch leaks a bit and rarely used, but overall, worth the money. Of course it's made of plastic, but then so was the $50 Delta it replaced.

Unless you have extremely high water pressure, I personally don't think any of the massage type/ 7-10 settings really live up to the claims.

Old 10-12-13, 03:17 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 530 Votes on 487 Posts
Unfortunately I think time to rinse off is largely related to the flow volume. You can make the best with what a low flow can provide but nothing beats volume. I like the Kohler Flipside. It's not the cheapest but it does give you four quick choices in spray pattern. And, it really flows nice when the restrictor accidentally falls out.

Old 10-12-13, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
Best heads I install and used are the moens... They are 2.5 gpm though. I had them in my home until I had septic issues way back when.

This moen . ( I tried and installed them all...) This has best uniform sray pattern

Hard to find though. I have three in the shed...LOL About $40 bucks. Its a plumber thing....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19192[/ATTACH]

Now what did I change to???? I searched hi and low for a good spray with water saving cabilities. I wasted a lot of money in my search but found this the best @ 1.25 GPM.

Niagara.

Eco-Friendly Water Efficient Earth Showerheads by Niagara Conservation

Now I bought it because I thought the massage would work... It does not too well. Get one of the styles with just spray IMO.

1.25 GPM works out well for me on a well with pump run of 55 psi.

Here are all models.\

Water Saving Shower Heads | Water Efficient, Low Flow Shower Heads

Attached Images  
Old 10-12-13, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator
Oh and this is what I have. And if I was making a vid this is exactly what I would show...

( My wife has long hair so she is picky about getting the soap out of her hair....)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xkdD8Tbs9UE#t=37

Old 10-12-13, 11:07 PM
J
Thanks guys. I should have mentioned this, but I need one that will work well with lower water pressure. maybe I'll try the 1.25 gpm one.

Our plumber thinks our point well may be starting to fail. The water pressure goes up and down while showering, and I'm hoping a low flow head may help.

Old 10-13-13, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator
The water pressure goes up and down while showering,
You probably need to add or adjust the air pressure in the well tank bladder. Your symptoms indicate this as the cause of pressure fluctuations.

Old 10-13-13, 05:21 PM
J
The pressure tank was recharged when the new jet pump was installed about 1 month ago. The check valve is new also. Is it possible the new jet pump is defective?

With the pressure going up and down, would a low flow head make the situation worse?