Pulsating Water Pressure

Old 10-13-13, 05:35 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Pulsating Water Pressure

My water pressure is pulsating; I found this out because I just started hearing a strange sound inn my water pipes. I stuck a pressure gauge on my line and found the pressure was going CRAZY (see video). The video was taken with everything turned off (no faucets, washing machine, etc.) If I turn on a faucet, the pressure drops to a reasonable pressure (50 - 60ish) and the pulsating stops. Turn off the faucets and the pressure then SLOWLY climbs, and will eventually start this pulsating stuff and I can hear it throughout the house. The spigot in the video is located after the pressure reduction valve at the inlet to the house. I've also noticed the same pulsating at lower pressures than what's shown in the viedo (80-ish). House and plumbing is approx. 15 years old.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdS-KLNTVXM

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-13, 05:52 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
One possibility is that your pressure reducing valve is shot and you also have a pressure relief valve set at around 100 psi that is discharging. As the pressure rises to the relief valve setting the relief opens and immediately drops the pressure, closes and the cycle repeats.