Can I move my washer/dryer to my garage and is it expensive?

Old 10-14-13, 11:09 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I move my washer/dryer to my garage and is it expensive?

Currently, our washer and dryer are located in a downstairs room that is the size of a bedroom and we'd like to turn it permanently into a bedroom. If we move it, we will have to put in new plumbing and electrical for the appliances. The dryer isn't gas. We don't need to worry about freezing pipes in our garage. We do have experienced friends who will help us with the plumbing and electrical, so there would be no cost for labor, other than a case of beer/soda...lol. Is it doable? And...what do some of you estimate the costs to be? Also...are there some things I didn't mention that we should be concerned about or consider? Thank you for your time!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-13, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
You need to find a drain to tap into and most likely get a vent up through the roof. Water lines are a no brainer. Electrical you will need 220 I assume and the proper size breaker. Use what breaker is there and run a new line to the new location.

Old 10-15-13, 05:34 AM
M
With labor being free, the costs will consist of at least; plumbing, electrical, structural.

Plumbing
I'll keep my discussion to Code. You need a correctly sized drain with p-trap and vent. Code varies depending on location. Here's a link to a decent Code explanation with pictures.http://www.klickitatcounty.org/build...andout0411.pdf

Plumbing could easily be your greatest expense if you need to run pipes where there aren't any already. You might need to completely redo parts of your wall or floor.

Electrical
1) You will need a new breaker, but I would think you can just use the one that you originally had. You might need a new 15 or 20 amp for the bedroom to replace the dryer breaker you switched to the other room.
2) New wires will need to be run. There is no way for us to know how much you will need.
3) The old wires can either be used somehow in the bedroom, removed if not needed, or covered up with access panels. You cannot simply abandon wires in the wall without some way to get to them.

Structural
As mentioned above, new plumbing can result in the need to cut a lot of structure. You do not want to skimp on repairs. Make sure the walls and floors are structurally sound when all is done, or you will have sloping floors.

You also need to find a way to vent the dryer. Again, this could be as simple as a single hole in the wall, or as difficult as running 20 feet of ducting through adjoining rooms. You should look at local Code for this as well. The length that you can run ducting is lessened each time you add a bend.

As someone who had to deal with prior owners' modifications; Now is the Time to do it Correctly. Don't skimp on insulation in the walls where the dryer vent goes, add sound proofing (fiberglass insulation) in the interior wall if the laundry room is near a bedroom or family room. Don't just run plumbing in the shortest route without proper traps or venting. If you are moving it to an upper floor, consider a drain pan (local code might even require it).

Old 10-22-13, 12:28 PM
how far are thse room apart? If they are right next to each other than it will prob be pretty easy considering you can always box the piping in to cover it.

If there are any other rooms separating them then it could be a pain but again as the others said, it depends on if there is drainage in the area.