Hi all, please help me identify my basement drain system...thanks!!!

Old 10-14-13, 10:20 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Hi all, please help me identify my basement drain system...thanks!!!

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and very excited to see the posts here! This will be my 1st DIY project in my new build home and would like to get some advises from you all.... please feel free to post your inputs, greatly appreciate it!

Currently we are in the process of building our new home, and we already added a Full Bath rough-in in the basement. In addition, we also like to add a kitchen which consists of a dual kitchen sink and dishwasher in the basement.... please see the pictures attached here for the empty basement layout... we would like to add a kitchen in the same area where the Sump Pump is. Our main question is where in the exisiting draining system we can tap the new kitchen draining system into? We saw a big capped pipe(the one circled in red with ? mark) near the Sump Pump. So can we tap the new kitchen draining into that big pipe? Is that for sewer drain or dirty water drain??? Or anyone has any other suggestion? We would need to get this draining system figured out before the builder pouring concrete covering the basement floor.

Please please help! Thank you ALL!!!

Attached Images     
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-13, 04:03 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
Probably a future floor drain that probably drains into the sump pit. It looks like the concrete hasn't been poured yet, right? That's why it's still unfinished.

Old 10-19-13, 03:22 AM
H
I agree it looks like a floor drain to me. I think too they have the drain covered so debris doesn't get in the drain. I am glad your builders plumber thought to put a floor drain in the basement. Some houses don't have floor drains and water can quickly rise that way if the sump fails. This acts like a good back up to the sump pump. Still a good idea to have a back up pump in case one fails though. It looks like a nice sized basement and should be a real nice place for your family to gather together.

Old 10-19-13, 05:31 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
You should go ahead and plan on a drain and vent for the sink now, before the concrete is poured. I would not consider tapping into the floor drain. In pix #3 what are the pipes sticking up there on the right side? Another bathroom, or kitchen? I'd have my plumber identify each and mark the caps so you won't forget once the concrete is poured and cured. Now's the time to make additions, not later.

Old 10-20-13, 07:12 PM
T
Thanks very much for the reply. In pix#3, there are 3 pipes. The one kinda next to the metal support post I believe it's coming from the upper floor bathroom drain system. The other two smaller pipes, I'm not really sure. But I was able to go to another almost "ready" home and took a picture of these pipes, and they are actually next to the Furnace/Water Heater system. Please refer to the new picture I added to the thread/reply here.... would you know why these pipes are there? Even if these pipes are good for kitchen drain, it will be very odd to extend my kitchen drain all the way from that back wall (where the sump pump is) to the Furnace unit area.... unless I can tap into it before the builder seal the basement with concrete... Sorry I was not able to talk to builder's plumber at this time, that's why I got so much confusion and unkown issues... Thanks again for your help.

Attached Images   
Old 10-20-13, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
You need to look in the ceiling and see if there is a vent to hook up to.

The big 3" pipe with cleanout is probably for the baths upstairs

Full bath rough ready pic does not show a tub or shower pipe. There should be a vent above those pipes.

I think the pipes for the kitchen is actually for a laundry room. washer drain and sink... Common to have a floor drain in these rooms... Again there should be a vent above.

If no vent then it will make it problematic...

And why they put the WH and funace there is not the best I would guess for the fact that the washer will be there and walls needing to go up...

Move pipes now before they pour the slab would be my opinion....Or suggest better location for heating system...

Old 10-20-13, 07:23 PM
T
Hi, thanks for the reply. The floor drain idea makes sense to me... but I just went to another almost "ready" home(same model as mine) and took a pic of the "floor drain pipe and sump pump" area, I now noticed this pipe is actually raised up much higher than basement floor(please refer to new added picture), is this still a good floor drain even it's sitting up much higher than the floor? Perhaps it's useful when we have to manually pump the flood water into it?? I'm a newbie here, not trying to argue, but wouldn't it be better for a floor drain to be at the same level as the floor so in the event of flooding, the water could easily go directly into the floor drain?? Is it possible that this big pipe could be used for other purpose??? Thanks again.

Attached Images  
Old 10-20-13, 07:27 PM
Super Moderator
Is it possible that this big pipe could be used for other purpose??? Thanks again.
Sure it could be.....Or they may cut the pipe and add the strainer later...

Old 10-20-13, 07:54 PM
T
Thanks for reply. The original #2 pic shows 3 pipes in that corner. I was told that 1 for shower, 1 for toilet, 1 for sink, total of 3. But I will look into the vent location.... not sure if they will add the vent later on???

As to the water heater/furnace location, I do not like it at all, wish it could be in a corner or at least near the back wall and not kinda in the middle of the room/hallway area. I will try to talk to the builder and see about relocation.

Old 10-20-13, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator
Since I despise ducted heat is there an option to have a boiler installed instead? Better heat IMO...

Just a thought...