Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

Copper strainer basket doesn't hold water because the copper sink hole is uneven

Copper strainer basket doesn't hold water because the copper sink hole is uneven

Old 10-14-13, 11:48 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

There must be some workaround for this.

I have a new hammered copper sink and a copper strainer. Because each sink is hand made and has its unique characteristics and flaws, the copper sink drain hole has a high spot, as shown in this photo (gasket removed for clarity).

When I install the strainer assembly, using silicone on top and the gasket below, the strainer will not hold water when in the stopper position (in other words, trying to fill the sink like a bath tub.. the water just slowly leaks between the basket gasket and empties into the drain).

This happens because when the assembly is tightened down, the uneven sink hole causes the strainer to conform to the same warped shape, and the strainer basket gasket does not form a tight seal against the now-bent strainer.

When I uninstall the copper strainer assembly and then tighten it up against the perfectly flat plastic piece, I'm able to straighten out the walls because the copper is so soft, and then the strainer basket will hold water fine (pushed down to plug).

I cannot replace the sink because it was expensive, and that would mean removing the granite countertop which I don't want to mess with.

Note, the sink itself does not leak around the drain, this is just about the stopper feature to be able to fill the sink all the way and hold water.

So far I have 3 ideas:

1. Put a really thick layer of silicone on top of the sink hole and keep the strainer assembly rather loose without tightening it much. But it might look messed up.

2. Put some kind of strong metal O-ring on top of the sink hole, sealed to the sink hole with silicone, to create a firm and even base for the strainer.

3. Try to hammer the sink hole straight. May be risky and tough to get it perfectly even.

Not sure that any of my ideas would work. What would you do?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-13, 04:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
IMO I would get a metal strainer......

Also is plumbers putty allowed for that sink? I am not a fan of silicone unless its specified....

Old 10-15-13, 09:13 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes maybe a metal strainer is best, since the copper on this Elkay copper strainer is rather thin. Anyone know the best quality metal strainer that has the copper look - maybe a copper coated one?