plumbing in a water softener help please

Old 10-15-13, 01:36 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
plumbing in a water softener help please

I have recently bought my first house and have decided to install a water softener, but I have no idea where to hook it up, do I put it right above my shut off from the out side? I want it in hot and cold water if that helps, thanks in advance for any help

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-13, 03:57 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
You'll need to cut the copper line above the water meter and above the main shutoff valve. That will soften all your hot and cold water.

Typically though, you don't want to soften your outdoor faucets. Plants don't like the softened water much and it's a waste of money/salt to water your grass/plants with softened water. It's not a dealbreaker, but something you want to consider.

I would look into using Sharkbite connectors and PEX pipe to make the connection to your water softener. You'll also need a drain for the softener to drain into.

Old 10-20-13, 05:13 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Have you had your water tested so you know what's in it and exactly what sort of system you need?? Do you know how to properly program whatever type of unit you end up with?? Installing the thing is the easy part, but you'll waste time and money if it's not properly set up or is the wrong unit for your water conditions. While I am an experienced DIYer and even built my own house, I let the professionals take care of my water treatment.