Adding shower to Jacuzzi tub

Old 02-21-01, 07:40 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a Jacuzzi tub in my downstairs bathroom. I'd like to add a shower to that tub, but for some reason I'm under the impression that there is a problem doing this. Can you tell me if it is possible to do this? If not, why not? If so, are there any "gotchas" I should know about?

Old 02-22-01, 04:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

There are several ways to do it, depending on your tub surround.
You can do it by building the shower plumbing into the wall (which I wouldn't do if you have ceramic tile).
OR, you can get shower kits that are made to add to tubs that look very nice (chrome shower pipe, etc.). Look around at plumbing supply houses, Lowe's or other big box stores.
OR, you can create your own with a hanging-from-the-ceiling frame and three overlapped shower curtains. Of course, you will have to plumb in the added shower pipe, etc. to the existing plumbing, in any case.
I did the latter with plain old galvanized pipe, brass gate valves, and cheap plastic shower curtains in a frat house in college. It was no thing of beauty to behold, but it worked great. LOL. I'm sure that you can do better.
The key thing is doing the plumbing right, coming off of what you have. Just plan it out. Or, if you're not an experienced D-I-Y plumber, you may want to call in a pro for this.
It can be done.
Good Luck!

Old 02-22-01, 09:28 AM
A
And whatever you do, don't use "plain old galvanized pipe".

Old 02-22-01, 10:02 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

LOL.
It was either that or bamboo back when I was in college in the other '01.

Old 02-22-01, 05:24 PM
A
Mike,

I did not realize they had indoor plumbing back then!! Just surprised you did not make it clear to NOT use galvanized in this century.

Old 02-22-01, 05:56 PM
J
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Well . . . I would not convert in any manner if there is a tiled deck, however small, between the tub rim and the wall. If the tub is actually built into the wall like a standard tub, okay. If not, forget it. The deck area will become a river each time the shower is used, and it has not been waterproofed accordingly.

John the Naysayer

http://www.johnbridge.com

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: