Vent/Drain Pipe Dilemma

Old 10-15-13, 09:27 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vent/Drain Pipe Dilemma

Hi all,

I am hoping to move my washing machine further down the wall, but when I broke into the drywall, I found that there is a vent pipe between where the washing machine drain is now and where I want it to go. I've attached a very crude diagram that shows the situation. I know I can't use the 1.5" vent line for the drain so I am thinking I am stuck and would have to break into the slab to get this to work. Any ideas would be fantastic ...

Kevin
Name:  VentPipeDrama.jpg
Views: 3340
Size:  29.1 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-13, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
Whats that other 1.5" vent for? Possibly it can be removed?

Old 10-16-13, 05:57 AM
K
That's part of what I'm struggling with ... because it goes into the slab, I am not sure what it is venting. There is a shower on the other side that drains into the slab close to that vent so I am guessing that is what it is for. I was thinking since there were the two vents so close together, removing that one might be fine, but just not sure how I would figure that out ...

Thanks much,

Kevin

Old 10-16-13, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
No dont remove it. Its for the shower most likely... Its there for a reason I am sure.

I assume you will need to box the wall out some....

Old 10-16-13, 06:56 AM
K
Thanks Mike,

Yeah, that is what I am thinking too. There is actually some space behind the vent pipe as the shower behind it is an insert and the way the shower is molded leaves space where I might be able to re-route the vent around the new drain. I did not really want to do that as I am thinking about replacing the shower insert someday ... but I think your right ...

Thanks,

Kevin

Old 10-16-13, 07:07 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Have you considered running the drain on the surface of the wall (properly supported and pitched, of course) past the inside the wall vent, then turn it into the wall when it reaches the existing drain, and make the connections?
I realize that this might not be the prettiest solution, but it would be behind the washer, and it could work.
Good luck with your project.