Ball Valve Letting Water Through When Closed

Old 10-19-13, 06:01 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ball Valve Letting Water Through When Closed

I closed the ball value (left one) that leads to the outside spigot. I drained the water in the pex tubing by opening the bleeder screw and let the water drain until water stopped coming out. I then closed the spigot and screwed the bleeder screw back on. The water level then was at where the red arrow is pointing to. About 3 hours later, the water level is at where the blue arrow is pointing at. The ball valve is letting water through even though it's fully closed. Can I fix this by slightly opening the valve, then simply tighten the nut that the green arrow is pointing to until the leak stops?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-13, 06:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 836 Votes on 783 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I don't believe that nut on the handle has anything to do with water passing thru the valve. I think that's just for the packing at that shaft.

Are you sure the water isn't just draining back from where ever that line goes to ?

If the valve is truly leaking it will probably need to be replaced. Usually the only way they leak is if they were overheated when installed.

Old 10-19-13, 06:42 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That nut is just holding the handle on.
It's very rare for a ball valve to leak. I'd try opening up that bleeder again to drain the water and wait a few hours to see if it was just water trapped in the line running back into the line.
Is that line running down hill all the way to the outside faucet?
I would have left the outside valve open and the bleeder cap loose for the winter so if a little water did leak by it would not stay in the line and freeze.

Old 10-20-13, 04:07 PM
W
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Hi, Open the spigot and with the water running full blast turn the ball valve on and off 5 or 10 times. Shut off the ball valve, leave the spigot open then open the bleeder and drain the line and give it lots of time to drain then close the bleeder but leave the spigot open that will mke it faster to check the ball valve.
Good Luck Woodbutcher