Water pressure changed

Old 10-20-13, 01:17 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water pressure changed

Hello, all!

Over the course of the last few months, I've noticed a drastic reduction of water pressure in the rest of the house when a shower is running, the washing machine or dishwasher is running, or the sprinkler outside is on. Normally we'd be able to run the tap in the kitchen sink with full pressure while this was happening. Now, it barely drips out.

I'm trying to think if there's been any changes that might have caused this. We replaced a faulty flapper in one of the toilets that was causing the toilet to run, and our water softener was replaced, but that was just a few days ago. We have city water, and I checked our consumption, and it looks like it's risen almost 40 gallons per day (up 5-6 CCF to 9) from July-September, when compared to the rest of the year. I can't think of anything that could cause this big of a jump, except maybe a bit more watering of the garden, but I don't think it's *that* much more.

I'm terrible at plumbing stuff, any ideas before calling someone to come take a look at it? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-13, 01:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 851 Votes on 797 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Water consumption can be pretty hard to figure out.

As far as a reduction in pressure... go to the depot, etc. and pick up a water pressure gauge that you can screw on to a hose bib. Check your water pressure.

Do you have a whole house pressure reduction valve. It can usually be found near the water meter. That could need a replacement.

Old 10-20-13, 01:43 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Any time major plumbing work is done I always remove all the aerators on all the faucets and remove the shower head so I can flush out the lines.
There's always going to be trash knocked loose when messing with the pipes.
Just having the back flush timer setting different or having it working now when it was not before now could account for that small amount of "extra" water consumption.