Basement Bathroom Vent Question DIYself'er

Old 10-27-13, 06:02 AM
Q
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement Bathroom Vent Question DIYself'er

I am adding a bathroom to my basement. I realized today that I used a 3in x 3in x 1-1/2 in wye for my vanity sink.

PROBLEM: I forgot I needed a 2in wye if I wanted to vent all of the bathroom fixtures.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: I don't have enough pipe to cut out my mistake and start over.

Can I add a tee off my 2 in shower drain line to use as a vent (it is connected via a 3in x 3 in x 2in long sweep and I have room between long sweep and drain). In the end I'll have 2 studor vents. 1 connected to my 1-1/2 in vanity, and another connected to my 2 in shower vent. Toilet will be vented through these two vents.

Last edited by quirozson; 10-27-13 at 06:38 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-13, 07:01 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
I think we need a sketch of what you have planned.

Typically you need to run a new vent all the way up to the roof as wet venting (venting into the main stack) is not permitted across most codes. Also, do you know if AAVs (Studor vents) are allowed in your locale? Some areas don't allow them, others require engineering plans for their use.

Old 10-27-13, 07:54 AM
Q
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Here is a picture of my mistake

Name:  photo.jpg
Views: 1265
Size:  37.6 KB

The right branch is a 3x3x1.5 wye. Downstream (left) from that is a 3x3x2 long sweep sanitary tee (is that ok? code book says long sweeps are o.k.) and next is the ejector pit. The pit will have its own venting. A plumber told me I could vent all bathroom fixtures through the sink with an air admittance valve. However as I was reading through the 2009 IRC I realized I needed to use a 2 in vent. As you can see, not too much room to cut away. Can I just add a vent to the shower drain. In the end ill have a 1.5 aav on the sink and a 2in aav on the shower.